ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 8's Task Manager -- Slow as Hell.

<< < (3/4) > >>

wraith808:
This would only work as a temporary measure, if I'm not mistaken. Isn't the priority reset each time the task manager is closed? The problem isn't so much the slowness once it's loaded, but the (long) time it takes for it to just appear.

Just now, it took 25s to show its face. Feels like I'm booting an OS or something.
-Armando (July 15, 2013, 12:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Mine maintains it from boot to boot.  When I just checked, it was on high, and I haven't touched it in forever.

http://www.wikihow.com/Change-Process-Priorities-in-Windows-Task-Manager

I see that some say that doesn't do it permanently; not sure what governs that as mine seem to stay.

Armando:
Thanks Wraith.
Strange. I thought Windows 8 (maybe vista and 7 too, don't remember as I was on XP right before 8 ) treated priority changes at the "instance" level, so to speak. In any case, I can confirm that priority changes certainly don't stick here.

You're right, it seems very slow loading the first time.  But bring it up again and it's faster the second and subsequent times.
-x16wda (July 14, 2013, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

You might be right about that. I'll have to experiment some more. What might happen is that I very often put my laptop in standby mode, which probably flushes the caches -- sorry if the term isn't perfectly accurate.
Still...

Armando:
@Wraith : what version of Windows are you on ?

wraith808:
@Wraith : what version of Windows are you on ?
-Armando (July 15, 2013, 02:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Windows 7 - 32-bit and 64-bit (on different machines)

Vurbal:
You're right, it seems very slow loading the first time.  But bring it up again and it's faster the second and subsequent times.

That said I usually use System Explorer instead, and leave it running.  It has most everything I need and some of the features are handy (like the running history of processes, connections and events).  If I need anything else I can fire up Process Explorer.  I don't replace the default Task Manager with either, as they are both simple to get at when I need them.
-x16wda (July 14, 2013, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
I use System Explorer as well, but I do use it as a replacement for Task Manager (on Win7 and Win8) and don't leave it running all the time. I find it particularly useful for tracking down problems with hanging applications, particularly in Windows 8. Very often when Task Manager shows you that a program is hung System Explorer will also show that the DWM.exe (ie the compositing window manager that runs full time now in Win8) is also hung. In other words what really appears to be going on is that the userland program is only hanging because it's waiting for the window manager. That's a pretty important piece of information for troubleshooting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version