ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 8's Task Manager -- Slow as Hell.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Shades:
The first thing I do on a new installation of any Windows version is replacing the task manager with a tool called 'Process Explorer' from SysInternals.

Their software is so good that Microsoft bought them up and they made the programmer one of the lead Windows architects. It is free to use and portable. I know for a fact that I am not the only member here who does this. This software is so essential, I don't get why it wasn't used as replacement.

There is an open source alternative (also portable)...with a somewhat ill chosen name: Process Hacker. This one is also very good.

x16wda:
You're right, it seems very slow loading the first time.  But bring it up again and it's faster the second and subsequent times.

That said I usually use System Explorer instead, and leave it running.  It has most everything I need and some of the features are handy (like the running history of processes, connections and events).  If I need anything else I can fire up Process Explorer.  I don't replace the default Task Manager with either, as they are both simple to get at when I need them.

Armando:
@Carol: yup, that slowness is inexcusable.

The first thing I do on a new installation of any Windows version is replacing the task manager with a tool called 'Process Explorer' from SysInternals.
-Shades (July 14, 2013, 02:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks Shade. I use process explorer too from time to time -- especially when I need to find out what's keeping my external storage busy. It's always installed on my various machines. However, I (used to) launch taskmanager to rapidly kill tasks or check  ram/cpu usage of certain processes, etc. like most mere mortals. Process Explorer, while great, used to be slower --as in a few noticeable seconds slower. Now it's different though... Not because it's quicker, but because Task Manager has become unbearably slow.

Mine takes a while when the processor is under load.   I haven't tried yet b/c I don't really use it that much (I use process explorer), but have you tried to increase the priority of task manager?
-wraith808 (July 14, 2013, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

By using e.g. "start /high" ?  Or by using the Prio utilitty (just found it by googling) ?

You're right, it seems very slow loading the first time.  But bring it up again and it's faster the second and subsequent times.
-x16wda (July 14, 2013, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

My experience is that it doesn't take too long before a re-run is slow again. And just remains slow, no matter how many times I rerun it. No idea what does that. Maybe atmospheric humidity.

wraith808:
Mine takes a while when the processor is under load.   I haven't tried yet b/c I don't really use it that much (I use process explorer), but have you tried to increase the priority of task manager?
-wraith808 (July 14, 2013, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

By using e.g. "start /high" ?  Or by using the Prio utilitty (just found it by googling) ?
-Armando (July 14, 2013, 02:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can just open the task manager and look for taskmgr.exe and right click on it and set it to high.

Armando:
This would only work as a temporary measure, if I'm not mistaken. Isn't the priority reset each time the task manager is closed? The problem isn't so much the slowness once it's loaded, but the (long) time it takes for it to just appear.

Just now, it took 25s to show its face. Feels like I'm booting an OS or something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version