ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 8's Task Manager -- Slow as Hell.

(1/4) > >>

Armando:
Hi everyone. I searched the Web a bit but can't find any real discussion and solution to this problem... And not too many people seems to complain about it.

Since I bought a new laptop with windows 8 pre-installed, I've had to put up with a super slow Task Manager. After hitting ctrl+shift+esc, Task Manager takes between 10s and 60s to appear. Anything else is quicker than that! Again : note that the laptop is new and fairly powerful.

Anybody else has this kind of experience ? Any potential cure ? it's really annoying.

(Reinstalling Windows is out of the question here -- too long.)

Carol Haynes:
Same here - even slow from the taskbar context menu. I did notice it was using over 20% CPU when it finally launched and then dropped back to nothing.

I absolutely hate the new task manager. I am sure it has better stuff in it than previous versions but I find it a confused layout, slow to use and one thing I really hate is that MSCONFIG no longer gives you a quick way to disable startup items - it sends you to task manager to fiddle with apps one at a time.

Haven't tried any of the alternative task managers but I bet some of them work better.

Armando:
Ah! I'm not alone.  :)

There are a few good things about it, but just the fact that it's so s-s-l-l-o-o-w-w drives me mad. The whole idea of the task manager used to be "an application that always answers fast, no matter what"!  The weird thing is that I've read here and there comments about how responsive it is, etc. How can that be ? Here it's always been slow. I'm not using any special anti virus, and I use Comodo strictly as a Firewall for the days I'm traveling.

Haven't tried any of the alternative task managers either, simply because I've grown tired of maintaining an OS full of replacements for all the things that should just work... But I digress.

One thing I think I haven't tried consistently is launching it from the run "dialog". I might try that today -- I'm not holding my breath.

Carol Haynes:
I am using Windows Defender and Windows Firewall (both preinstalled in Win 8 as standard)- so I shouldn't be having problems because of 3rd party security software!

wraith808:
Mine takes a while when the processor is under load.   I haven't tried yet b/c I don't really use it that much (I use process explorer), but have you tried to increase the priority of task manager?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version