ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best (free?) Sandbox?

<< < (3/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
-  Applications that don't need to reboot - 'Toolwiz Time Freeze' is an excellent choice.
--- End quote ---

I'm just trying this out now.  For what it's worth, it seems to run as advertised on my Windows 8 x64 Laptop.  I just tried a simple test.  Download a file to desktop, then reboot.  File was gone after logon.   Seems nice and simple.

Only thing with these Returnil type utilities I absently tweak things, then remember changes are discarded.  Supposedly if you quit the app from the tray the changes are kept though.

cyberdiva:
Only thing with these Returnil type utilities I absently tweak things, then remember changes are discarded.  Supposedly if you quit the app from the tray the changes are kept though.-MilesAhead (March 04, 2014, 02:29 PM)
--- End quote ---
Lately I've been using Shadow Defender.  It's not free, but it's moderately flexible and easy to use.  You can set aside certain files or folders that you don't want sandboxed, and you can also decide on the fly that the changes you've made to a particular file or folder should be saved rather than discarded when you leave "shadow mode" (the sandbox).  I've used it when making changes that I'm nervous about, or installing iffy Windows Updates, etc. etc.  So far, it's done its job well (knock on wood).

MilesAhead:
I remember reading about SD awhile back.  I don't remember if I tried it though.  The technical write-up was impressive.  On the Laptop one "hazard" I'm running into is if I forget and do a fake shutdown (sleep) then next time it comes up the program comes up enabled instead of requiring me to start it.  I can either reboot or hold down shift during shutdown to get it to act as expected.

This slows down the boot up a bit.  Can't have everything I guess.  So far I haven't found any complaints about Time Freeze.  I'll run it a bit longer.  I don't like to use av "shield" software as it doesn't seem as smooth as just using the shadow mechanism.

When I had 2 desktop PCs I figured I could use the working machine to fix the broken one if one got hosed.  Now with just the Lappy I should be a bit more cautious.  :)

IainB:
@MilesAhead: Where you say:
"... when next time it comes up the program comes up enabled instead of requiring me to start it."
--- End quote ---
Could you be more precise please? Which program are you describing?
I am very interested in how you are getting along with ToolWiz Time Freeze. Depending on your experience, I may trial it myself.

MilesAhead:
@MilesAhead: Where you say:
"... when next time it comes up the program comes up enabled instead of requiring me to start it."
--- End quote ---
Could you be more precise please? Which program are you describing?
I am very interested in how you are getting along with ToolWiz Time Freeze. Depending on your experience, I may trial it myself.

-IainB (March 06, 2014, 07:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm talking ToolWiz Time Freeze.  So far I like it.  One thing though, MBAM scans are slower with it enabled.  How I'm running it so far is to come up disabled in the tray.  I start it, then connect to WiFi etc..
If I want to do a scan or make an image backup I reboot.  It comes up disabled again.  Now I can do scans or whatever.  I have another partition for data.  I can just download to that without setting any exemptions.  It only protects the system partition.  When shutting down the Laptop I hold down shift to avoid sleep mode.  That way when I bring it up next time Time Freeze is in tray disabled again.  The boots aren't as fast as coming out of sleep.  But using Time Freeze is pretty much a no brainer.  I just accepted the defaults.

As I get used to it I will probably run fewer scans.  I guess I should run MBAM scans on the unprotected partition as well as the occasional quick scan.  So far when I've rebooted out of Time Freeze and done a scan with MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware everything has been clean.

Edit: The main confusion in using it so far for me is the shutdown.  If the program is active I need to hold shift on shutdown. If it is inactive in the tray I need to just click shutdown which is a form of sleep.  Like just awhile ago out of habit I shutdown holding shift.  When it came up my tray icons were all hidden.  I had to reset all the settings.  But as time goes on I should remember.  :)

Edit2: As I was getting accustomed to using Time Freeze it did come up active one time.  Clicking in the tray icon to turn it off was a pretty slow reboot.  That's one of the main reasons I have it start disabled.  But others may just choose to have it come up running.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version