ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best (free?) Sandbox?

<< < (2/4) > >>

40hz:
My inclination is to always prefer using a full virtual machine software for testing things (VmWare, VirtualBox, VirtualPC, etc.).
-mouser (July 11, 2013, 05:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd +1 with Mouser on that.

Sandboxes are a little bit more like a hack or "science fair" sort of solution whereas a virtual machine is the real deal if you want to create an fully isolated system to work with. VMs are also better supported and generally more reliable from a security standpoint.

If your PC has the horsepower (most machines built in the last few years do) I'd definitely try running a VM.

When I need to do 'secure' web browsing I'll use Tails.

Tails is a live system that aims at preserving your privacy and anonymity. It helps you to use the Internet anonymously almost anywhere you go and on any computer but leave no trace using unless you ask it explicitly.

It is a complete operating-system designed to be used from a DVD or a USB stick independently of the computer's original operating system. It is Free Software and based on Debian GNU/Linux.

Tails comes with several built-in applications pre-configured with security in mind: web browser, instant messaging client, email client, office suite, image and sound editor, etc.
--- End quote ---

If you're not uncomfortable using a distro developed by the US government that does some of the same things as as Tails, there's also the Lightweight Portable Security distro which is available for download here.

brahman:
Yes, it is clear from the replies that one can have more security when giving up comfort and when one has more horse power.

But I don't want to do either! :)

I have a relatively old ThinkPad with  a dual core T4500 @2,3GHZ and 4GB Ram 32bit Win7 system. It serves me fine and I have no plans to upgrade in the near future. Ironically I also have several Android devices, and my main ones all have quad cores :). More and more I work with Android and that's also why I am not really willing to invest too much into the Intel platform and have to think hard to even buy Sandboxie, since prices for Windows software are 10 times+ what they are for Android.

And I also like comfort and don't want to do this reboot thing all the time or have a system bogged down by VMs, drumming my fingertips until it starts and finally runs. My system has just enough speed for me as it is, less just will not work (you must know my notebook is a 14in. because I travel a lot I have weight restrictions).

It is also harder for me to analyze software in VMs, it is easier to do in a sandbox.

Tinman57:

If I need to run something in a sandbox, I just use Comodo Firewall (free).  It has an option to do that....

Renegade:
Again, +1 for mouser there.

VMs are the way to go. I keep a bunch of VMs handy at all times.

brahman:
Thanks for all your comments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version