ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Adblock Plus Letting Ads By

<< < (5/7) > >>

wrbird:
I personally am extremely thankful for Adblock Plus plugin for Firefox and I'm neither their employee, hired for contract, troll, or whatever else, just a user who has found the plugin outstanding and would recommend it to everyone.  How do you like that for a run-on sentence :)

40hz:
I personally am extremely thankful for Adblock Plus plugin for Firefox and I'm neither their employee, hired for contract, troll, or whatever else, just a user who has found the plugin outstanding and would recommend it to everyone.  How do you like that for a run-on sentence :)
-wrbird (July 10, 2013, 08:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

As a grandmaster of run-on and meandering sentences, I like it just fine. ;D :Thmbsup:

I'm also grateful for AdBlock. So much so that I've contributed to it regularly since I first started using it. Right now, I don't consider what they've done to be a complete show-stopper. (I'm not that much an ingénue.) But now I'm watching them much more closely than I used to. Which is a shame since trust is such rare and fragile thing these days.

Suffice it to say I'll kick AdBlock to the curb in a heartbeat if I so much as suspect they're abusing what remaining trust I have in it. For the moment, I'll give them some benefit of the doubt. But the ball is definitely in their court going forward.
 ;)

TaoPhoenix:
I'm also grateful for AdBlock. So much so that I've contributed to it regularly since I first started using it. Right now, I don't consider what they've done to be a complete show-stopper. (I'm not that much an ingénue.) But now I'm watching them much more closely than I used to. Which is a shame since trust is such rare and fragile thing these days.

Suffice it to say I'll kick AdBlock to the curb in a heartbeat if I so much as suspect they're abusing what remaining trust I have in it. For the moment, I'll give them some benefit of the doubt. But the ball is definitely in their court going forward.
 ;)
-40hz (July 10, 2013, 09:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

What remaining trust is there? Isn't the point of AdBlock to ... block ads? I've spent money on chunks of value (if sufficiently vetted! One Un-Named Soul has fallen on bad luck!).

So I'll submit the newspaper pages as my signature example of the Anti-Adblock movement. They employ these *awful* javascipt monstrosities that eat your entire page until you click them to go away!!
 >:(

So see my other posts on the "javascript blockers".

On the mobile front (blah blah yes it's mobile but it matters) one app puts ads right where your finger actions are supposed to be, so then you mis-click and hit the ad 20% of the time.

wraith808:
Truthfully, I don't mind ads- done a certain way.  I think that's what 40 means by trust.  If they vet, if they don't let abusive or obnoxious ads through, I'll be fine with it.

Tinman57:

Normally when dealing with people, it's "fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me."  But when it comes to ad-blockers or malware blockers, I run on the sentiment of "Fool me once, I blow you off my hard drive".

I really do expect that the fox "will" raid the henhouse when left in charge of guarding it.

On another note, I've noticed over the years how some great free software will be bought out by a large company only to be turned into adware or spyware.  They do this legally by changing the EULA posted on their website, which states "in" the EULA, that the EULA can be changed at any time and you should check it daily to see if there are any changes.  Yeah......Right......People are going to check the EULA's on all of their software, every day, just to look for changes....  The way I look at it, if they didn't announce these "little changes" somewhere besides the modified EULA, obviously they're being sneaky and can't be trusted.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version