ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How Google is Killing Honest (Organic) Search

<< < (3/4) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
I've experienced what cyberdiva has and am now back to Google.  As for TaoPhoenix's advanced search, I'm glad I'm a "computer novice" because "regular search" has worked perfectly for me.  I have no need to spend my time going to the advanced search options.  Thank goodness for being a novice.  Between Google and Facebook (those who use Google and Facebook) there's not such thing as privacy.  It's going to be interesting where we end up as a society.
-wrbird (July 10, 2013, 09:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi wrbird!

What searches do you do "regular" that actually work for you? Because I use Advanced so much I just made a click away on my jump-page and then it's "automatic". It just has more lines, but when you type in the words "awesome birds" it is forced to give you any page with *both* results!

TaoPhoenix:
I lost the link for an essay/article, and wanted to find it again. It *was* easy to find through Google before. Not so much now - it's gone from the results. No matter how I try, I cannot find it.
-Renegade (July 10, 2013, 10:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Uh oh! We have a Return of Renny Challenge!
There are few forces (except maybe ex-girls!) as mad as DC members Scorned! So what was the article! First three to find it get Thank-You mentions from Renny!

Because if Snowden taught us anything, it is that when you're stumped, you just Give It To The Interwebs, and they will look for you as a favor!

8)

app103:
I lost the link for an essay/article, and wanted to find it again. It *was* easy to find through Google before. Not so much now - it's gone from the results. No matter how I try, I cannot find it.
-Renegade (July 10, 2013, 10:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

There are few forces (except maybe ex-girls!) as mad as DC members Scorned! So what was the article! First three to find it get Thank-You mentions from Renny!

Because if Snowden taught us anything, it is that when you're stumped, you just Give It To The Interwebs, and they will look for you as a favor!

8)
-TaoPhoenix (July 10, 2013, 11:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

How recent was it? Because if you have trouble finding something, and it's the sort of thing people would talk about and share (even if it is considered subversive), perhaps you are searching in the wrong place. Perhaps searching Friendfeed for references to it would work better. (and I am subscribed to a number of people there that choose to keep their posts private, so they would be included in my search results.)

And Friendfeed has an advanced search like no other!

How Google is Killing Honest (Organic) Search

Tinman57:
I've experienced what cyberdiva has and am now back to Google.  As for TaoPhoenix's advanced search, I'm glad I'm a "computer novice" because "regular search" has worked perfectly for me.  I have no need to spend my time going to the advanced search options.  Thank goodness for being a novice.  Between Google and Facebook (those who use Google and Facebook) there's not such thing as privacy.  It's going to be interesting where we end up as a society.
-wrbird (July 10, 2013, 09:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

I like using advance searching, it weeds out a buttload of extraneous websites.  It can turn a hit rate of 22 million down to hundreds of thousands.  That's still a lot of hits, but it does narrow it down with the most likely hits listed at the top....

Renegade:

8)
-TaoPhoenix (July 10, 2013, 11:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can't mention what it is in the Living Room (see below). It's Basement material.

How recent was it? Because if you have trouble finding something, and it's the sort of thing people would talk about and share (even if it is considered subversive), perhaps you are searching in the wrong place. Perhaps searching Friendfeed for references to it would work better. (and I am subscribed to a number of people there that choose to keep their posts private, so they would be included in my search results.)
-app103 (July 10, 2013, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know how old it is. Also, it's probably not popular enough for people to pass around much. (People are pretty lazy.) It was an in-depth analysis of dichotomous concepts and the logical consequences of them with data and examples to back it up. Not really the kind of thing that most people find exciting or fun. There are pics of cute kittens and puppies to be viewed out there, and only so much time... ;)

The site was off the beaten path too, which only exacerbates the problem. i.e. Smaller search engines are less likely to have encountered it.

It was just odd to see it disappear from Google. Why would they drop it? It was an excellent essay/article, and probably the best I've read on the topic. Google can generally pick out quality relatively well, and that should have held in this case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version