ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft ending TechNet subscription activations effective august 2013

<< < (3/6) > >>

J-Mac:
No "Sorry's" allowed here!!

Besides, if at some point I have to move to Linux because I simply refuse to use Windows for whatever reason, then I'll just have to learn to deal. That said it would probably be in my best interest to do what I posted above: Keep my current main box on Windows 7 Pro and setup my previous "main box" with Linux. That way I can take my time and become accustomed to Linux on the other machine; learn what software is available, which ones I prefer, etc. Then if/when the time comes for a complete switch to Linux I would at least be well aware and hopefully as comfortable as I can be with it. As opposed to just committing fully all at once.

Plus this way I can go at a more comfortable pace with Linux.

Thanks again!

Jim

wraith808:
Besides, if at some point I have to move to Linux because I simply refuse to use Windows for whatever reason, then I'll just have to learn to deal. That said it would probably be in my best interest to do what I posted above: Keep my current main box on Windows 7 Pro and setup my previous "main box" with Linux. That way I can take my time and become accustomed to Linux on the other machine; learn what software is available, which ones I prefer, etc. Then if/when the time comes for a complete switch to Linux I would at least be well aware and hopefully as comfortable as I can be with it. As opposed to just committing fully all at once.

Plus this way I can go at a more comfortable pace with Linux.
-J-Mac (July 02, 2013, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

If I'm honest, this is the main reason that I'm not on Linux.  I tried them side by side rather than jumping in.  And of course, when you're confronted with not having your apps, and what you're familiar with, you go back to that.  I do believe it's an all or nothing proposition (well, other than work).  If you give yourself an easy out, human nature wins in most cases. 

You have to make a decision not to worry about what you don't have and look at what you do... and find alternatives.

At least, that's what I'd do if I was inclined to go back.  But, considering the fact that what I do other than work for a large part is games... well, it's just not there yet.  And I'm not inclined to play in what is basically a VM just so I can say that I'm on a different OS.  If I actually need to switch, the games won't be that important at that point.  But I'm not there.

J-Mac:
Thanks for the comment, wraith. Good to hear from someone who has already considered this.

I don’t see the need to abandon Microsoft Windows just yet, but when I try to work out problems on the notebooks I purchased for my daughters - both running Windows 8 - I can see the possibility in the not-so-distant future. I just want to know what I can and can't do if or when the time comes.

Thanks again!

Jim

Stoic Joker:
I think a lot of the motivation is because Microsoft has been unable to convince people that Microsoft products are "licensed not sold." So their customer's perspective is still one that says "possession is 9/10ths of law." And that's despite 30 years of trying to "educate" people otherwise. Most people flat out refuse to accept the notion of 'intellectual property' when they're buying a physical product.-40hz (July 02, 2013, 08:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

As well they should. The whole IP war drum thing is psychopathic corporate greed and laziness. They want to just sit back and gorge themselves with cash for doing absolutely jack shit. It makes about as much sense as an 80's one-hit-wonder walking around acting all butt-hurt because they're not still rich and getting top hat treatment.

Bill Gates became the richest man in the world during the peak of the casual copy "issue". Then MS concocted this activation BS and profits began to decline. and decline ... And decline. They are poring more money into nickel squeezing the thumbscrew based licensing schemes than they are into creating a product that doesn't suck. That's why they're profits are down ... But psychopaths really aren't trainable so they're not going to learn until they end up being bought out by the competition for a song.

They damn well better hope that cloud they're ascending into is iron clad. Because as the other companies follow them into said cloud...they are going to be giving birth to a very large crowd of very angry unemployed IT people.

Hack the Planet!

40hz:
Best bet is to install it on my last "primary" computer, which was running on Windows 7 Home Premium. It was built in May 2006 but it was fairly high-tech for its time. It has an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+, 2200.0 MHz, 4 GB Corsair SDRAM, an nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT w/ 512 MBytes of GDDR3 SDRAM, and three HDDs internal. I haven't used it very much since I got my current machine
-J-Mac (July 02, 2013, 08:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's the smart and recommended way to to it.

I threw Linux in my second best machine and soon discovered I was using it almost exclusively when I (mostly) switched over.  I still keep Windows 7 Pro on my "main" best laptop - although I have currently carved out about 500Gb of its 1TB for use with Linux since then. Thank happiness for things like GParted which allow you to do that safely and easily. And for Linux's talent for dual booting and maintaining a peaceful coexistence with existing Windows installations.
 :Thmbsup:

Besides, Windows is already bought and paid for. So why should I only have one OS when I can just as easily have two or more? (Nobody's paying me for an exclusive.) So between my Win and Nix boxes plus my "bought for a song used" Mac Mini, I have all the bases covered. No matter what OS the app I want to use runs best on.

As I said, Linux is all about choice - even when your first choice isn't always Linux. ;D  8) :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version