topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to choose email address without using your name?  (Read 3670 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How to choose email address without using your name?
« on: June 29, 2013, 05:17 PM »
I was wondering what you guys would do if you had to choose an email address without using your name?  But you also want it to be business friendly, adult friendly, resume friendly, etc.  I've been using my superboy thing since a teenager, and i want a new one.  I don't want to use my name, so I was just wondering how you guys think through it. 

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to choose email address without using your name?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 05:30 PM »
I was wondering what you guys would do if you had to choose an email address without using your name?  But you also want it to be business friendly, adult friendly, resume friendly, etc.  I've been using my superboy thing since a teenager, and i want a new one.  I don't want to use my name, so I was just wondering how you guys think through it.  

A big problem is it's not easy to be "Resume Friendly" without using your name. But I created a *different version* of my name for an email that is only used for job networking, so it's cordoned off from the regular family emails. All the job websites create a whole lot of spam of their own!!

The problem is darn near anything else looks like spam no-thanks to spammers :(

It's not unrelated to the LinkedIn problem of names.

What I ended up doing was that my regular name pulls almost nothing on a web search, and all my hobby posts like this are under screen handles, and it's a "small barrier" so that a bored HR rep doesn't get 5000 web posts on a web search for my name!!

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 08:05 PM »
In the internet early days name_somenumber was fashionable and the preferred way when name alone was not available. I never liked that and from then on I tried to sign up with something like an organization name version that incorporated my initials, for example rgdot. The only thing I could come up with when facing a similar dilemma to yours was just that, even if the supposed organization is fiction.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 10:20 PM »
In the internet early days name_somenumber was fashionable and the preferred way when name alone was not available. I never liked that and from then on I tried to sign up with something like an organization name version that incorporated my initials, for example rgdot. The only thing I could come up with when facing a similar dilemma to yours was just that, even if the supposed organization is fiction.
I kinda like that.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 11:38 PM »
My first email address followed the convention of initials+nickname. And since my boss chose it for me, she picked the nickname she loved calling me the most (especially when she had a problem, no clue what to do, and needed someone that could think creatively, fast, and stay within the budget)

alrknowitall

Of course you could use a descriptive word that gives some clue of what you do, like initials+occupation or a topic you are really into that looks good on a professional email. Something like ABC+Developer or DEF+Art, GHI+Finance, or in the case of my daughter who has the coolest initials for someone into photography, SLR+Photography. The added bonus is that many combos like this can also be suitable company names, if ever you decide to go that route in the future. (very similar to what rgdot suggested)