ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

10 signs you may have OCD

<< < (4/4)

superboyac:
15 years ago I hated computers and thought they were evil. Now (thanks to a pivotal event) I'm the admin for one of the largest IT companies in the area. That's not OCD ... That's setting a goal and going for it.
-Stoic Joker (July 03, 2013, 06:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
:D Wow, talk about an about-face!  You've got to explain this one...was it the typical "computers are taking our jobs" thing, or something different?

Stoic Joker:
15 years ago I hated computers and thought they were evil. Now (thanks to a pivotal event) I'm the admin for one of the largest IT companies in the area. That's not OCD ... That's setting a goal and going for it.
--- End quote ---
:D Wow, talk about an about-face!  You've got to explain this one...was it the typical "computers are taking our jobs" thing, or something different?
-superboyac (July 03, 2013, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Simple really, I made a deal with the devil...and stuck to it.

A long time friend of over 30 years had a bike shop that I was helping him at. He was getting into computers at the time but just for user level play toy stuff. I adamantly hated them ... But he decided to give me one for Christmas. I was totally bummed when I opened the box because I thought he'd gotten me the custom rims I wanted for the custom Harley I was building at the time (Hay bike shop...Ya know..?).

To be polite -- as he is a father figure level friend -- I let him set it up and show me all the "really cool" stuff it could do ... Which at the time I didn't give a shit less about.

However I did bitch about it a bit at work where I was managing an optical lab at the time. One of the staff (young college guy of the time) was trying to explain to me what value the idiotic contraptions had. "They can answer virtually any question" he said ... Which got me thinking. I can be extremely dangerous when thinking at that level. I said "Okay ... Tell it to find my mother"...because I was adopted, and while I can't really say that it bothered me...I was excruciatingly curious.

He got me online, and gave me the basics of how to do web stuff, and I started digging. I was looking for two things at the same time. The first was a straight up web search for mom. The second was anything I could find about how these things were put together, and something called "Hacking" (the movie helped...) that appeared as an excellent plan 'B' if the search didn't pan out.

Six months later I got an Email from one of the sites I'd found for that sort of thing ... Two hours later I was on the phone with Mom.

Ultimate question, was answered ... Deal had been made ... The rest is history.. ;)

superboyac:
--- End quote ---
-superboyac (July 03, 2013, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Simple really, I made a deal with the devil...and stuck to it.

A long time friend of over 30 years had a bike shop that I was helping him at. He was getting into computers at the time but just for user level play toy stuff. I adamantly hated them ... But he decided to give me one for Christmas. I was totally bummed when I opened the box because I thought he'd gotten me the custom rims I wanted for the custom Harley I was building at the time (Hay bike shop...Ya know..?).

To be polite -- as he is a father figure level friend -- I let him set it up and show me all the "really cool" stuff it could do ... Which at the time I didn't give a shit less about.

However I did bitch about it a bit at work where I was managing an optical lab at the time. One of the staff (young college guy of the time) was trying to explain to me what value the idiotic contraptions had. "They can answer virtually any question" he said ... Which got me thinking. I can be extremely dangerous when thinking at that level. I said "Okay ... Tell it to find my mother"...because I was adopted, and while I can't really say that it bothered me...I was excruciatingly curious.

He got me online, and gave me the basics of how to do web stuff, and I started digging. I was looking for two things at the same time. The first was a straight up web search for mom. The second was anything I could find about how these things were put together, and something called "Hacking" (the movie helped...) that appeared as an excellent plan 'B' if the search didn't pan out.

Six months later I got an Email from one of the sites I'd found for that sort of thing ... Two hours later I was on the phone with Mom.

Ultimate question, was answered ... Deal had been made ... The rest is history.. ;)
-Stoic Joker (July 03, 2013, 05:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
omg, I was not expecting that.  beautiful story, dude.  Thanks for sharing.

Curt:
-yeah, really captivating story, Joker.  :up:

Thankfully I didn't catch any reason for the devil's part of it all.

tomos:
omg, I was not expecting that.  beautiful story, dude.  Thanks for sharing.
-superboyac (July 03, 2013, 05:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1  :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version