ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

EU Court - Piracy Tax On Printers

<< < (2/2)

mwb1100:
The rule of thumb originally stated that you weren't allowed to beat you wife with a rod that was larger (in diameter) than your own thumb.
-Stoic Joker (June 28, 2013, 06:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

This tale about the origin of the "rule of thumb" phrase has been pretty well debunked.

Stoic Joker:
The rule of thumb originally stated that you weren't allowed to beat you wife with a rod that was larger (in diameter) than your own thumb.
-Stoic Joker (June 28, 2013, 06:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

This tale about the origin of the "rule of thumb" phrase has been pretty well debunked.
-mwb1100 (June 28, 2013, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps so, but none the less the potential for abuse (when interpreted by the good Ol' boy network) for either one matches perfectly.

Tinman57:
:(

Can anyone 'translate' this:

The court does however limit the amount that can be levied. "The overall amount of fair compensation must not be substantially different from the fixed amount owed for the reproduction obtained through the use of one single device," the ruling said.
--- End quote ---
-tomos (June 28, 2013, 02:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think they're saying that you can't be taxed more than once per printer, but this is the most confusing legalese that I've ever seen.  I think they either misprinted the quote or the person that made the quote got tongue-tied.  Either way, it's a really bad law.  But like Carol said, it should make copying legal, even though they will fight that as well.

When CD's first came out in mass back in the 80's, the MPAA/RIAA sued for the same thing and was awarded a special tax per CD sold, but yet it's still illegal to copy anything.  Basically, they get their cake and eat it too....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version