ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

EU Court - Piracy Tax On Printers

(1/2) > >>

Tinman57:

Gee, why not tax TV's and DVR's since they can show unauthorised reproduction of their work?....  This also assumes that EVERYONE that uses a printer is some kind of pirate.  I thought Europe had better sense than this....

Top EU court says printers can be taxed to compensate for piracy losses

06.27.2013 6:50 AM

Europe's top court ruled Thursday that it is legal for countries to impose a levy on printer manufacturers such as Canon, Epson, Fujitsu, Hewlett-Packard, Kyocera and Xerox in order to compensate rights holders for unauthorised reproduction of their work.
--- End quote ---

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043128/top-eu-court-says-printers-can-be-taxed-to-compensate-rights-holders.html

tomos:
 :(

Can anyone 'translate' this:

The court does however limit the amount that can be levied. "The overall amount of fair compensation must not be substantially different from the fixed amount owed for the reproduction obtained through the use of one single device," the ruling said.
--- End quote ---

Stoic Joker:
:(

Can anyone 'translate' this:

The court does however limit the amount that can be levied. "The overall amount of fair compensation must not be substantially different from the fixed amount owed for the reproduction obtained through the use of one single device," the ruling said.
--- End quote ---
-tomos (June 28, 2013, 02:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm guessing it fairly close to the same "logic" behind the origins of the "Rule of Thumb".

For those that don't remember/care to Google it: The rule of thumb originally stated that you weren't allowed to beat you wife with a rod that was larger (in diameter) than your own thumb.

...Which sounds pretty close to what they are doing here to me.

---------------------------

Congrats on hitting 7,000 posts man!

tomos:
^ wow, hadn't heard that one before :o
(& thanks!)

Carol Haynes:
There is a logical conclusion to the EU ruling - copy what you like now you are paying for it.

Since they are charging a levy for people making copies they can't argue that copying is illegal any longer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version