ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting Amazon MP3 development

<< < (2/3) > >>

40hz:
In some respects it's kind of sad that you have a business like Amazon offering (for whatever reasons) some additional value - and people (again for whatever reasons) immediately start coming up with ways to game the system.
 ;D

wraith808:
The difference with DVD and BluRay with downloadable content is that I think the license says it is for the owner of the DVD or BD - it would therefore not be the same thing. Also to get the download codes you have to open the package to you can't really sell it as new (esp. since the code, advertised on the pack, has been removed or already claimed).
-Carol Haynes (June 28, 2013, 07:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, that is not true.  On amazon, I purchased a DVD for my wife.  It came with a digital copy.  She received that copy immediately.  I'm not sure we've ever even opened the DVD.

And it's not just Amazon.  I pre-ordered Django Unchained from Best Buy.  I paid $14.99 at the time, and watched it that night, even though the DVD hadn't shipped to the store.  The agreement specifically said that if I didn't redeem my $14.99 by a week (I think) after the release date, I forfeited my chance to apply that money to the price of the DVD.

What is that saying?

Carol Haynes:
Most, if not all, the digital downloads I have seen with DVDs require the redemption of a code on a slip inside the box. The boxes also say a digital copy is included. If I redeemed the code and then flogged the DVD the buyer won't get the digital copy. At least in the UK.

There are no video downloads from amazon.co.uk yet and they even dropped their rental system. Having said that I still think this is a very odd marketing decision for the manufacturers to allow ... or is this a prelude to the complete disappearance of physical products and this is the way to move customers into the new digital only world?

40hz:
is this a prelude to the complete disappearance of physical products and this is the way to move customers into the new digital only world?
-Carol Haynes (June 29, 2013, 04:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's been rumored that's the direction the industry wants to go in. No more uncontrollable physical media.

Carol Haynes:
No more uncontrollable physical media
-40hz (June 29, 2013, 06:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Odd though as they have moved to unprotected MP3 format which is even easier to share than physical media.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version