ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Secure Cloud backup -e.g., Digital Lifeboat - what alternatives are there?

<< < (2/2)

zenzai:
Personally I use CrashPlan, partly because it runs as a service and can back up other accounts on my computer besides the one I am logged in on (not sure if SpiderOak have implemented this yet), but also because I think the 100 GB increments in data make SpiderOak too expensive (I am paying $60 for 80 GB instead of $100, and if I had 101 GB I would still be paying $60 instead of $200).
-Jibz (June 26, 2013, 02:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm using CrashPlan too, the best I've seen yet. Recently I also got a DrivePop account, though only because they had a special offer on BitsDoJour for a Pro account ($60 for lifetime unlimited space unlimited computers). I'm not impressed though with their software nor the upload speed. And I suspect their host company LiveDrive is comitting suicide with its reseller offer:

http://www.livedrive.com/ForResellers

wraith808:
I say that the one thing to remember is something 40 says- if you're not paying (or not paying a reasonable amount) then you're not the customer, you're the product.  And you're way too likely to see that digital lifeboat message about it's ending happen sooner or later.  Not a good feeling for something you're backing up with.

I tried a whole lot of them, and posted a few mini-reviews.  I'm currently using a combination Amazon s3 with Syncovery (for things that I just want to back up) and Cubby (for things that I want to access regularly and/or sync).  I think that both of those are reasonable (for me, and for the company in terms of money spent) and backed by solid companies (Amazon and Logmein)

On a side note, I stopped using Jungle Disk because I realized that I was paying about a 33% premium on s3 services billed through them.

IainB:
...I would like to know why the service had to be killed.
-IainB (June 25, 2013, 11:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
   I guessed that the reason was probably a financially non-viable business model, or infeasibility, or police/SS pressure that led to this "cryptographically unbreakable" data backup service being closed down. I suppose another reason could be a mixture of all three reasons.
   Because the Digital Lifeboat system was redolent of BitTorrent functionality, today I did a search of BitTorrent-related comments in the DC Forum, and then I realised why Digital Lifeboat may have been shut down - viz: it is an application concept that seems to be already being worked on and moved into the public domain.
   For example, including:

* The 2013-01-25 post by @Paul Keith: BitTorrent Sync Sign-up Link.

* The 2013-04-23 post by @superboyac: Finally! A private, non-cloud file-sharing service.

I suspect that such a P2P "cryptographically unbreakable" data backup service would be anathema to the police/SS/NSA from a surveillance prospect.
   The thing about Cloud storage and Cloud-based services is that (as we now know thanks to the Snowden leaks) the "Big Data" and "Social Network" providers  - including Google, Facebook, and Microsoft, for example - have been obliged to act as data suppliers to the NSA, for NSA (and other) surveillance agency purposes. So you categorically cannot expect the common "Big Data" and "Social Network" providers to be not breaching your privacy/security/confidentiality.
   Since Them are bigger than Us, I suspect that it may be only a matter of time before operating such P2P "cryptographically unbreakable" data backup services in what could effectively be a virtual "Dark Net" could become illegal, or at least "showing a suspicious intent".

Note: This might be handy as a BitTorrent summary: 4 Things You Didn’t Know About BitTorrent

kyrathaba:
I regularly backup projects to Pogo Cloud, adrive (free 50 GB) and box.net (my personal fave)

4wd:
I only use it things I might want to access remotely and syncing of some software between machines:

For things that it doesn't matter if someone else can access: ADrive (free 50GB), Box.net (free 50GB+25GB)

Everything else is encrypted: SpiderOak (free 2GB), Tresorit (free 50GB)

So out of a possible 177GB I use about 5GB :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version