ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Interesting concept. But is it art?

(1/1)

40hz:
This is an intriguing idea. I can't decide if I think it's brilliant, Zen-like, merely clever, or just another hipster "art school"  gimmick...

If a 24-hour radio broadcast happens in a Scottish forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

At the end of August, an FM transmitter will be set up in the middle of the Galloway Forest to broadcast music from dozens of artists over the course of 24 hours. Those who want to hear it will have to head to the forest. There will be no repeats, and the files will be deleted after they are played.

The installation is the brainchild of "noise terrorist" Stuart McLean (aka Frenchbloke) and artists in resident at Galloway Forest Robbie Coleman and Jo Hodges...
--- End quote ---

Full article here.

In some respects it's almost pointless in that music is an art form which exists purely in time rather than space. So unless something is being recorded, every musical performance is a one-time event. And many live performances contain improvisational moments that have never been heard before - and likely will never be heard again. So what's the big deal?

Still...it is a fairly clever and intriguing idea that I find oddly appealing. Maybe because it reminds me of that creepy big band music which was constantly heard playing out on the trail in the horror flick Yellow Brick Road. YMMV. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version