ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

<< < (92/139) > >>

Stoic Joker:
So, one valid question would seem to be: Is he intending continuing that history, or doing something about correcting it?
-IainB (November 06, 2013, 07:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes ... Great pains are being taken to hide the facts better.
-Stoic Joker (November 06, 2013, 11:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd say that the strings are showing more than anything else.  The President of the United States is a position of great power at the behest of great powers it seems to me.
-wraith808 (November 06, 2013, 12:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Me too. :Thmbsup:

TaoPhoenix:
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. – C.S. Lewis

--- End quote ---
-IainB (November 04, 2013, 08:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here's a little bit of help from about 1985!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfgKy6B-1R8
Stabilizers - Tyranny

I can see you've got things well in hand
You seem to think this is your promised land
No parade without a tip of your hat
If the people cry -- you give them what they ask
Both good and bad -- and as the sky turns black
CHORUS:
What's a little tyranny to you?
When all you need to do -- is come to me
So what -- what's a little tyranny
Now the plan begins to take some form
I could swear you had a soul before
You're in command -- holding tight to your course
You close your hand and promise them much more
From behind your door -- they've heard it all before
CHORUS
Now it seems your luck is running down
A masquerade in pieces on the ground
The fear you've lost has suddenly been found
They've come for you -- go to your angry crowd
Hear them calling out loud
You're wearing a smile through the frown
CHORUS

TaoPhoenix:
I'd say that the strings are showing more than anything else.  The President of the United States is a position of great power at the behest of great powers it seems to me.
-wraith808 (November 06, 2013, 12:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't that theoretically the first step towards change?

And I missed when the "gate" opened to make the term SnowdenGate :  )

Which is rather funny ... wasn't that episode about spying too? : )

IainB:
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. – C.S. Lewis

--- End quote ---
--- End quote ---
Stabilizers - Tyranny
-TaoPhoenix (November 06, 2013, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
That has reminded me of the SF story about the inventor who designed a robot with built-in programming to ensure the health, safety and happiness of humans, and other programming to enable it to be self-replicating and able to improve on the basic engineering design, as and when necessary.

A swathe of the robots offered themselves up to a grateful mankind as personal servants. They automated all the dangerous things like cars, motorbikes and so forth, even bicycles, so that people could not get hurt using them any more. No more rock-climbing though, for example. They steadily took all the fun out of life that comes from risky behaviour and skill development.

The inventor realised that he had let an awful and unstoppable tyranny loose on the world, and he could see no way to reverse it. He became terrified of the robots. The robots were concerned for him as they strove to ensure his health, safety and happiness. And though he tried desperately to hide his unhappiness from them, they were skilled in human psychology and could see that he was not happy, and so did the best they could for him and gave him a frontal lobotomy, after which he seemed quite happy.

TaoPhoenix:

--- End quote ---
--- End quote ---
Stabilizers - Tyranny
-TaoPhoenix (November 06, 2013, 03:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
That has reminded me of the SF story about the inventor who designed a robot with built-in programming to ensure the health, safety and happiness of humans, and other programming to enable it to be self-replicating and able to improve on the basic engineering design, as and when necessary.

A swathe of the robots offered themselves up to a grateful mankind as personal servants. They automated all the dangerous things like cars, motorbikes and so forth, even bicycles, so that people could not get hurt using them any more. No more rock-climbing though, for example. They steadily took all the fun out of life that comes from risky behaviour and skill development.

The inventor realised that he had let an awful and unstoppable tyranny loose on the world, and he could see no way to reverse it. He became terrified of the robots. The robots were concerned for him as they strove to ensure his health, safety and happiness. And though he tried desperately to hide his unhappiness from them, they were skilled in human psychology and could see that he was not happy, and so did the best they could for him and gave him a frontal lobotomy, after which he seemed quite happy.
-IainB (November 06, 2013, 07:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yikes!

But before you go even that far, I meant it at a people level, it's a theme vs the whole Snowden mess. "You don't have a privacy violation if you don't know it exists" type of comments!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version