ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

<< < (86/139) > >>

Renegade:
David Cameron threatened on Monday to act to stop newspapers publishing what he called damaging leaks from former U.S. intelligence operative Edward Snowden.

"If they don't demonstrate some social responsibility it will be very difficult for government to stand back and not to act," Cameron told parliament.
--- End quote ---

More on this story over at Techdirt.

I'm wondering how many more heavy handed attempts will be made at derailing the revelations before somebody with access to the documents decides to do a preemptive mass data dump of the entire remaining collection?
 :huh:
-40hz (October 29, 2013, 02:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

That he would even bring it up is chilling. Just imagine what goes through his head that he DOESN'T say publicly? Did anyone just s4!+ their pants?

I love this part in the article:

There's that "social responsibility" phrase again. I don't think it means quite what Cameron seems to think it means. Social responsibility is not being stenographers for the government's point of view. Quite the opposite. You'd think that someone in Cameron's position would understand that.
--- End quote ---

Yet another illustration of why TechDirt is one of my favourite sites.  :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
Sue the NSA! :P

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/10/man-sues-dhs-nsa-for-the-right-to-parody-them-on-mugs-t-shirts/

LAW & DISORDER / CIVILIZATION & DISCONTENTS
Man sues DHS, NSA for the right to parody them on mugs, T-shirts
"Forbidding citizens from criticizing them is beyond the pale,” lawyer says.
--- End quote ---

IainB:
I am actually getting a bit confused by this SnowdenGate thing and the relative importance that various nations' political players are giving it. They each seem to be taking it a bit differently:
Cameron: GCHQ surveillance of UK citizens and the Internet in tandem with US NSA surveillance was and is necessary for national security purposes. Yes, we know it is and was illegal, because GCHQ kept telling us - actually they were a little bit nervous about that being made public. I mean, good grief, they're not idiots, you know.
By the way, the whistleblower Snowden is a criminal for releasing this information.
The Crown is going to to throw the book at the reporters involved in Rupert Murdoch's News International's scandalous, disgraceful, illegal phone hacking. We can't have that sort of thing going on in a free democracy like the UK, after all, can we? Ruddy heck, before you knew it, we'd all be hacking into each other's phones what with the GCHQ doing it in spades already. Oh, wait. ...Did I say that?

America:
Obama: I know I promised to encourage whistleblowers and reduce NSA and other surveillance of citizens and the Internet but in fact, as SnowdenGate has revealed, it has been increased to cover all citizens and all foreign nations and external networks. But it's OK because we need the surveillance for national security purposes - really, we do, you can trust me on this one.
By the way, the whistleblower Snowden is a criminal for releasing this information.
Rest assured we have not carried out any surveillance of our European allies ... Oh, wait. What? We have? Merkels' phone too? How the @#$%^ did I forget that? @#$%^!

US Security Chiefs: We actually need to increase the existing levels of surveillance for national security purposes.
Yeah, actually we did tap into Merkels' phone and all the other EU political leaders, just to get to know them better, not so as to spy on them or anything like that. That would be ridiculous.

Germany, France, and other EU nations:
Merkel & Co.:  @#$%^ing Americans, why can't you @#$%^ing keep your @#$%^ing noses out of our @#$%^ing affairs? If we @#$%^ing wanted you to know anything we'd @#$%^ing tell you, for @#$%^'s sake. You can just @#$%^ off and @#$%^ you, you @#$%^ing @#$%^hole @#$%s.

New Zealand:
Key: Ah @#$%^ing hell, the whole @#$%^ing world knows now that we knowingly @#$%^ing @#$%^ed NZ law over big time when we @#$%^ing illegally surveilled Dotcom's @#$%^ing busines networks and contacts in cahoots with those @#$%^ing FBI and NSA @#$%^tards. Now I look a real @#$%^ing idiot and it's coming up to @#$%^ing election time.
I tell you, @#$%^ing heads are going to roll for this one and it won't be @#$%^ing mine, you @#$%^ing DCSB @#$%^wits. And @#$%^, @#$%^, @#$%^ @#$%^ing Dotcom. I wish I'd never heard of that @#$%^ing @#$%^hole @#$%^ing comedian. Why the @#$%^ did we let him into New Zealand anyway, and why the @#$%^ did we let the @#$%^ing FBI @#$%^ing push us into @#$%^ing breaking the @#$%^ing law? I'm @#$%^ed if I know.
@#$%^ me I need a cup of tea and a @#$%^ing lie-down.

What we can draw from this is the possibility that neither the EU countries nor NZ consider the whistleblower Snowden to be a criminal for releasing the information that he apparently did.

wraith808:
You're right. This is straying off topic.
-Renegade (October 29, 2013, 10:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I will add, however, there's truth, and there's ways of communicating the same.  Since all of us have been on the wrong side of this at one time or another, it would seem that a bit of respect in communicating this wouldn't be out of order.  Just a reminder would be good.

David Cameron threatened on Monday to act to stop newspapers publishing what he called damaging leaks from former U.S. intelligence operative Edward Snowden.

"If they don't demonstrate some social responsibility it will be very difficult for government to stand back and not to act," Cameron told parliament.
--- End quote ---

More on this story over at Techdirt.

I'm wondering how many more heavy handed attempts will be made at derailing the revelations before somebody with access to the documents decides to do a preemptive mass data dump of the entire remaining collection?
 :huh:

-40hz (October 29, 2013, 02:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, it's a bit less heavy handed than the US would probably be in such a situation.  At least people aren't disappearing.  Yet.  That's a bit of progress, right?

Renegade:
Spying on the Pope?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/10415228/US-spied-on-future-Pope-Francis-during-Vatican-conclave.html

US 'spied on future Pope Francis during Vatican conclave'

NSA spied on the future Pope Francis before and during the Vatican conclave at which he was chosen to succeed Benedict XVI
--- End quote ---

More at the link.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version