ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

<< < (74/139) > >>

Renegade:
It's been going on since at least 1975. Well, different equipment and capabilities, but same steamy pile.

9/11 was just the best thing ever to happen as it let them justify, or try to justify the worst abuses of privacy in history -- and that was just the dinner mint. They got wars and all kinds of goodies out of it.

wraith808:
And according to his timeline, in February 2001 — some six months before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks — he was approached by the NSA and asked to spy on customers during a meeting he thought was about a different contract.-article
--- End quote ---

:huh: Wait...what? I was always of the impression this nonsense was (9/11) overreactional. But this would make it rather decidedly premeditated.
-Stoic Joker (October 01, 2013, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

You really didn't think any of this was reactionary and/or coincidental did you?

Premeditated, strategized, and meticulously planned are the words of the day.

Stoic Joker:
It's been going on since at least 1975. Well, different equipment and capabilities, but same steamy pile.

9/11 was just the best thing ever to happen as it let them justify, or try to justify the worst abuses of privacy in history -- and that was just the dinner mint. They got wars and all kinds of goodies out of it.-Renegade (October 01, 2013, 06:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting... I've long suspected that when the fall of the American empire is retrospectively and objectively documented that MADD will be at the very testing phase top of the when-they-came chain. I say testing phase because it really was a sentinel moment/game changing proof-of-concept for how much spin doctored shit "We the people" would eat if it was packaged (for the children...) just right.

And according to his timeline, in February 2001 — some six months before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks — he was approached by the NSA and asked to spy on customers during a meeting he thought was about a different contract.-article
--- End quote ---

:huh: Wait...what? I was always of the impression this nonsense was (9/11) overreactional. But this would make it rather decidedly premeditated.
-Stoic Joker (October 01, 2013, 06:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

You really didn't think any of this was reactionary and/or coincidental did you?

Premeditated, strategized, and meticulously planned are the words of the day.
-wraith808 (October 01, 2013, 08:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Coincidental no. But yes, I did have the general impression that 9/11 was a strategically seized opportunity to had the keys to the kingdom to the Hun in prime time. Previously, there seemed to be more of a honor-among-thieves feel to it where only bad cops/feds or desperate ones would step over the line in extreme circumstances. So the spying was more discreet/testing phase instead of the full bore pervasive insanity we have now.

Vurbal:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The exponential increase in government overreach and secrecy are primarily the result of electing entirely inexperienced and unqualified individuals presidents. It's no secret that Dick Cheney had complete control of the intelligence expansion to the point where his office made a point of keeping secrets from the Attorney General's office to avoid adverse legal opinions getting in the way.

While Biden doesn't have the defense industry connections that Cheney does, during his lengthy tenure on the Senate Judicial Committee he was consistently the FBI's go to cheerleader for increasing their surveillance powers and secret legal proceedings. He attempted to push through one of their pet bills which strongly foreshadowed the Patriot Act all the way back in 1995.

I'd be willing to bet his office is just as hands on with both law enforcement and intelligence agencies as Cheney's was. That would certainly explain why Brazil was apparently a significant target of NSA surveillance. As perhaps the only US ally that's both a major economic power but not willing to be steamrolled by our trade policy they're one of the biggest targets for US IP lobbying. Add in the fact their state owned oil company is now bigger than all but one of their US competitors and it's not hard to figure out the government's motivation.

Renegade:
Here's the AMA:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1nisdy/were_glenn_greenwald_and_janine_gibson_of_the/

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1nisdy/were_glenn_greenwald_and_janine_gibson_of_the/cciybnk
A major reason why those in power always try to use surveillance is because surveillance = power. The more you know about someone, the more you can control and manipulate them in all sorts of ways. That is one reason a Surveillance State is so menacing to basic political liberties.
--- End quote ---

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1nisdy/were_glenn_greenwald_and_janine_gibson_of_the/cciy580
<<How do you answer the accusations that Snowden is a Chinese or Russian spy, or that they stole the secrets from him?>>
Ask any person making this absurd, ludicrous accusation for a single shred of evidence that it's true, and then marvel as they stutter and spew fabrications.
As for Snowden v. Rogers, there is no question that the latter lied. There is no technical limitation whatsoever on the NSA's power to read whatever emails which analysts with a terminal target.
--- End quote ---

Hehehee! The burden of proof is on the person making the claim. Neat and simple.

More there of course.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version