ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

<< < (68/139) > >>

dr_andus:
I saw somewhere that Russia says they didn't want Snowden, but that he was indeed on his way to Cuba when (I think?) they denied him so he got stuck.
-TaoPhoenix (August 26, 2013, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

This would explain a lot. But it also signifies an end of Fidel's Cuba as we knew it. What sort of leverage could the US use over them, considering the over half a century of economic blockade etc?

I suppose there has been a thawing of relations recently with the US and maybe they didn't want to jeopardise that? But it also shows that Russia wasn't able to convince Cuba to take him, which is quite a reversal of roles between the US and Russia vis-a-vis Cuba.

Renegade:
This would explain a lot.
-dr_andus (August 27, 2013, 04:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

I got a 404 there.

But it also signifies an end of Fidel's Cuba as we knew it. What sort of leverage could the US use over them, considering the over half a century of economic blockade etc?

I suppose there has been a thawing of relations recently with the US and maybe they didn't want to jeopardise that? But it also shows that Russia wasn't able to convince Cuba to take him, which is quite a reversal of roles between the US and Russia vis-a-vis Cuba.
--- End quote ---

That would be really weird.

It was funny though to hear about a plane full of journalists on their way to Cuba!

Renegade:
HA! We were all WRONG!

The NSA actually ARE the good guys!

They ARE spying on the terrorists! Here's the proof!

(Page 1) http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/secret-nsa-documents-show-how-the-us-spies-on-europe-and-the-un-a-918625.html
(Page 2) http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/secret-nsa-documents-show-how-the-us-spies-on-europe-and-the-un-a-918625-2.html

Codename 'Apalachee': How America Spies on Europe and the UN

The European Union building on New York's Third Avenue is an office tower with a glittering facade and an impressive view of the East River. Chris Matthews, the press officer for the EU delegation to the United Nations, opens the ambassadors' room on the 31st floor, gestures toward a long conference table and says: "This is where all ambassadors from our 28 members meet every Tuesday at 9 a.m." It is the place where Europe seeks to forge a common policy on the UN.

'Thou Shalt Not Get Caught' (page 2)

With few exceptions, this electronic eavesdropping not only contravenes the diplomatic code, but also international agreements. The Convention on the Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations of 1946, as well as the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations of 1961, long ago established that no espionage methods are to be used. What's more, the US and the UN signed an agreement in 1947 that rules out all undercover operations.

But even in UN circles a little bit of spying has always been viewed as a minor offense and, according to statements made by former government employees, the Americans have never paid much attention to the agreements. But this could change with the revelations of US spying on the EU. "The US has violated the 11th commandment of our profession," says a high-ranking US intelligence official: "Thou shalt not get caught."

--- End quote ---

I told ya that the UN were the real terrorists! And the NSA agrees with me. So nyah~! :P

There is UNLIMITED comedy in all of this if you simply choose to...

ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE~! 8)

dr_andus:
This would explain a lot.
--- End quote ---
I got a 404 there.
-Renegade (August 27, 2013, 05:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, fixed it now.

Renegade:
^^ Thanks!

It does seem very odd.

It said Cuba had changed its mind after pressure by the United States, which wants to try Snowden on espionage charges.
--- End quote ---

Carrot?
"Don't let Snowden through Cuba, and we might stop pummeling you quite as hard as we've been doing for the last half century."

Stick?
"Don't let Snowden through Cuba, or we might pummel you harder than we've been doing for the last half century."

It does seem very odd.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version