ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

<< < (53/139) > >>

Renegade:
No, they want him to come home, and will not seek the death penalty.  Oooh....  :o :huh: :-\-wraith808 (July 28, 2013, 09:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yep.

They're just so generous and compassionate! How can he say "no" to the criminals that he ratted out?

TaoPhoenix:
No, they want him to come home, and will not seek the death penalty.  Oooh....  :o :huh: :-\
-wraith808 (July 28, 2013, 09:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I had remarked on that really odd wording elsewhere too.

With all the other attacks on the Constitution, I think the ban on "cruel and unusual punishment" might fall one day too. I had it all worked out a while back... so you could give people "unusual" punishments simply by declaring them "not cruel proportional to the crime". This makes for endless comedy skits - going all clockwork orange on someone and making them watch Barney repeats!

Renegade:
With all the other attacks on the Constitution, I think the ban on "cruel and unusual punishment" might fall one day too. I had it all worked out a while back... so you could give people "unusual" punishments simply by declaring them "not cruel proportional to the crime".
-TaoPhoenix (July 28, 2013, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hopefully not. Cross fingers.

This makes for endless comedy skits - going all clockwork orange on someone and making them watch Barney repeats!
-TaoPhoenix (July 28, 2013, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

If it's unfunny, is it uncomedy? :)

TaoPhoenix:

Heh going back to the initial premise of chess, I have decided that we're in a Sicilian rather than a Ruy Lopez because the US isn't patiently maneuvering, it's trying to encircle the whole board.

I don't yet know the variation though.

Do we think Snoden's side is running out of steam?

dr_andus:
Snowden has been smuggled out of Sheremetyevo Airport, presumably with the FSB's assistance. As I've argued, Snowden continues to be a symbolic asset for the Russians. They gain more out of grandstanding with Snowden, than from simply trading him. There is not much Obama can realistically offer in exchange, considering his lack of leverage over Congress.

The immediate issue was to save Obama from the embarrassment of having to arrive at Sheremetyevo Airport while Snowden was also there. I wouldn't be surprised if Snowden would 'decide' to go on holiday in a remote region of Russia during the G20 summit...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version