ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

<< < (33/139) > >>

Renegade:
The big problem with conspiracy theories in general is that they can (and are) used to explain any and everything through attributions of unproven causality.
-40hz (July 17, 2013, 11:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

In general? Huh? You're obviously looking at some pretty wacky stuff then. We're not reading the same "conspiracy theories" at all.

The fact remains that there are countless "conspiracy theories" out there that are proven facts. Not matter for debate.

Sure, reptilian aliens are interesting, and god knows what, but that doesn't mean that the US military didn't plan to stage false flag events in order to invade Cuba. (Northwoods)

There is a very serious disconnect with reality for those pundits that keep screaming about "conspiracy theories".

@Ren - did you actually read the entire article? Because I'm amazed the main thing you seem to have taken away from it was what you saw as a diss on conspiracy theories. That's awesome! ;D
-40hz (July 17, 2013, 11:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes. I did read it. Did you want me to continue and have this sent to the Basement? :P

I picked a couple things that were just completely insane, but not things that would get this thread sent off to the Basement. I'm really, really trying very, very hard here... Give me a break, eh? :P :D

(I read far too much on politics and economics to honestly comment on a lot of things here. Really - I'm trying very hard!!! I try to keep it light and entertaining - think of me as your comic relief! :D Sometimes at least...)

Renegade:
although the article is written from a conservative perspective, I dont think that affects the validity of it's content.
-tomos (July 17, 2013, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you mean that it still stinks like an unkept outhouse, then I'd agree with you. ;)

But I don't want to rip on it too much as I'd end up sacrificing sacred cows. (Start a thread in the Basement to continue if you like.)

Well, that and I'm somewhat lazy too. Also got things to do like get back to work on one of those uber-popular MMORPGs that everyone loves to play. (Dammit! DC is just bloody addictive!)

tomos:
^well, if someone coming from - we could call it "that point of view" -
if they think that:

1) a jury might aquit him
2) the public are alienated, and dubious about NSA, secrecy, government even

I dont see why I should disagree :)

40hz:
The fact remains that there are countless "conspiracy theories" out there that are proven facts. Not matter for debate.
-Renegade (July 17, 2013, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're talking chalk and cheese here.

However, branding something as "a conspiracy" in order to deflect attention away from there being corroborating evidence to support its claims is no less a pile of dingo's kidneys than insisting something is "a conspiracy" to deflect attention away from its being an assertion without adequate corroborating evidence.

'Conspiracy' has become an intellectually bankrupt term. Right up there with 'organic' and 'green' IMHO. Let's stop using it.
 :)

superboyac:
-Renegade (July 17, 2013, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're talking chalk and cheese here.

However, branding something as "a conspiracy" in order to deflect attention away from there being corroborating evidence to support its claims is no less a pile of dingo's kidneys than insisting something is "a conspiracy" to deflect attention away from its being an assertion without adequate corroborating evidence.

'Conspiracy' has become an intellectually bankrupt term. Right up there with 'organic' and 'green' IMHO. Let's stop using it.
 :)
-40hz (July 17, 2013, 01:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've JUST recently decided to stop discussing any kind of controversial subjects with most people because as soon as somebody seems to bring up an unpopular stance, the 'conspiracy" word is thrown around by a lot of people and it deflects all discussion of facts and objectivity.  Very similar to how the racist term typically used to be thrown around.  And I'm tired of it, and don't care to discuss it with people anymore.  The media doesn't help at all, in fact, they make it worse.  Take the latest cases: trayvon martin and this snowden.  All the important details are not known to anybody, and for sure the media is not giving away any details.  Yet, they expect people to make up their minds and take sides?!  You kidding me?!  And what's worse is that people ARE making up their minds!  So i'm done.  I'm just a spectator at this point.

I forgot the official latin word for this thing in debate terminology, but it's bully convincing.  "I don't believe you, I need more facts."  "What are you, an idiot?!  get outta my face moron." debate over.  great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version