ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

<< < (18/139) > >>

wraith808:
That's nothing new.  For many years it's been standard in a lot of places that you have to be on their soil (either locally, or an extension, i.e. a consulate) before you can apply for asylum.

The ones that are talking asylum without him being there are doing it for their own purposes.  It's all a game.  Waiting, political, and other.

Ath:
It seems like Venezuela is offering him asylum, probably just to irritate the us of a :huh:

wraith808:
It seems like Venezuela is offering him asylum, probably just to irritate the us of a :huh:
-Ath (July 06, 2013, 09:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Exactly.  That's what I was talking about.  Nicaragua too.  I'm sure that you will see other Latin American countries do the same.  But in public addresses, rather than reaching out to him.  Because... media.

It would actually make more sense if you really believed, and really wanted to help, to make it fait accompli.  So why are they doing it this way?  Because... yeah.  Media.  Tweaking the nose of the giant.  And making a statement.

dr_andus:
Tweaking the nose of the giant.  And making a statement.
-wraith808 (July 06, 2013, 09:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Even though the giant was exceptionally polite  ;)

The Embassy of the United States of America presents its compliments to the Ministry of Popular Power for External Relations of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela and has the honor to request the provisional arrest for the purpose of extradition of United States citizen Edward J. SNOWDEN...
--- End quote ---

wraith808:
Even though the giant was exceptionally polite  ;)
-dr_andus (July 06, 2013, 10:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think that's called the velvet glove... ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version