ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

<< < (11/139) > >>

app103:
Maybe, but I'll go and say it's not even the nukes anymore - those are so "old and busted" via mutual destruction.

More dangerous is the crispy new trend to through out the laws we have, invent new ones, and then break those* to get whatever the desired result is!

(Seen what Scalia's been up to on the Supes-Court lately!?)
-TaoPhoenix (June 28, 2013, 03:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

A country that would use nukes against an enemy is a country that will do anything to get their way, with no regard for the lives of innocent civilians. Does a small country with not much in the way of defense really want to find out what "anything" means?

Sometimes you don't stand up to a large, strong bully. Sometimes the best course of action is to give them your lunch money or whatever else they ask for, especially when you don't have a bunch of strong friends around to back you up.

wraith808:
A country that would use nukes against an enemy is a country that will do anything to get their way, with no regard for the lives of innocent civilians. Does a small country with not much in the way of defense really want to find out what "anything" means?
-app103 (June 28, 2013, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

That was a different time, with different stakes.  The geopolitical arena is much different now, and with the advent of the fact that the US is not the only nuclear power, there is definitely a different playing field.  And, nuclear weapons are really a weapon whose time has past as has been correctly stated.  The difference in conventional and non-conventional weapons is not as much as it was at the end of WW2.

app103:
-app103 (June 28, 2013, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

That was a different time, with different stakes.  The geopolitical arena is much different now, and with the advent of the fact that the US is not the only nuclear power, there is definitely a different playing field.  And, nuclear weapons are really a weapon whose time has past as has been correctly stated.  The difference in conventional and non-conventional weapons is not as much as it was at the end of WW2.
-wraith808 (June 28, 2013, 04:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

So, you are saying that the US is not a big bully that will do anything to get its way?

I never said the US would consider using nuclear weapons today. And I never said that they wouldn't. And I am fully aware of the difference between the conventional and non-conventional weapons of today and those of the past. But look at more recent history to see what happens when the US doesn't like you, or you have something they (or their corporations) want. The US gets what it wants, by whatever means necessary, with little to no regard for civilian life. This was first demonstrated with Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and in many other ways, since. Who really wants to set themselves up to be the next small country to get bullied by the US?

And yes, the US is still a bully. If they were not, this thread (and some others) would not exist.

wraith808:
So, you are saying that the US is not a big bully that will do anything to get its way?

I never said the US would consider using nuclear weapons today.
-app103 (June 28, 2013, 04:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Those two are opposed.  If they would do anything, they would consider using nuclear weapons.

But your statement made it seem as though because they had used nuclear weapons that is what the intimidation factor is.  My disagreement is based on that.

And truthfully, there is no country that is purely internal facing and that doesn't act in its own best interest.  It's a matter of leverage.  When the UK had the position of power, they used it.  Russia has done the same.  It doesn't excuse the actions of the US, but to single them out such pejoratives makes it seem like they are the perpetrators and the others are innocent.  That's unfortunately not the way the world works.

Carol Haynes:
Doesn't alter the fact that the US has been continuously at war somewhere in the world since the second world war - and only ever to further their own financial needs - there is very little ideological content these days just economics. ut note those economic considerations don't benefit the American people - only the uber-rich puppet-masters.

The sensible thing to have done after Snowden's revelations would have been for the administration to through their hands up in horror and start a genuine investigation into illegal surveillance. At least then they wouldn't have shown their hand as the designers of all this crap. They should have given Snowden a reward, patted him on the back, put him on the dollar bill as a national standard for honesty and democracy and then quietly go back to business as usual.

Instead their petty minded, corrupt lying ways means that ultimately at best he will spend the rest of his life under voluntary house arrest and at worst they may even execute him through legal trickery or more likely covertly. It is now a matter of pride not to let his public service be seen for what it is.

"Land of the free, home of the brave" not for a long time outside the usual political doublespeak.

I don't dislike American's - every American I have met has been friendly, kind and considerate (and mostly appalled at what the US political system has become) - but your democracy is as dead as Europe's. All this taking democracy to the world is nothing but horseshit to cover up the real smell.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version