ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

<< < (117/139) > >>

wraith808:
No one is a villain in their own story.  That's just human nature.  Those that are behind PRISM and other initiatives think they're doing the right thing.  And I think that's the addictive part of it... the more you see, the more you think you need to see.-wraith808 (June 15, 2014, 12:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Someday, ^this should be a famous quote.
-Stoic Joker (June 15, 2014, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

To be fair, I thought I may have remembered that from somewhere, though I love to quote it.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/g/georgerr575871.html

Nobody is a villain in their own story. We're all the heroes of our own stories.
- George R. R. Martin

--- End quote ---

IainB:
Very droll: Congressman asks NSA to provide metadata for “lost” IRS e-mails | Ars Technica

40hz:
Very droll: Congressman asks NSA to provide metadata for “lost” IRS e-mails | Ars Technica
-IainB (June 17, 2014, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

All I can say is:

;)

superboyac:
Surveillance technology use is more addictive than crack AFAICT.

One reason why I never participated in any project that involved monitoring people was because I have seen what this technology does to the people who use it.
 (see attachment in previous post)
-40hz (June 14, 2014, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
Do you feel the same about home surveillance of your own pad?

wraith808:
Do you feel the same about home surveillance of your own pad?
-superboyac (June 17, 2014, 02:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know you asked 40... but I'll answer with a yes, for me personally.

You know the ghosts you see in the corner of your eyes.  And then you look that way, and they're gone.  It's the same with any surveillance.  This isn't to say that it's not useful.  But it's the same as with those ghosts- even with security.  

Oh, I have blind spots... I need to see more.  Oh, was that something off in the woods?  I need to put something to be able to see out there.  Oh... what was that guy doing out this time of night by my mailbox... maybe a camera there...

...and if you resist, that siren call will still be in your head.  

But what if something happens, and I don't do it?  How will I feel then?

Seems like paranoia waiting to happen, IMO.  For me, especially since I now live in a very rural area surrounded by strange noises at night, deer and other animals running around, and all sorts of imaginary goblins just waiting to lurk in my mind?

The answer is definitely yes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version