ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

<< < (116/139) > >>

IainB:
I spotted this headline just now whilst skimming through the unread slashdot posts in my Bazsqux reader. I don't think this is "new" news, but the brilliant suggestion to help the NSA at the end of this was something I hadn't seen before:
US Secret Service Wants To Identify Snark
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
Unknown Lamer posted about two weeks ago | from the bound-for-success dept.
Privacy 213

beschra (1424727) writes
"From the article: 'The U.S. Secret Service is seeking software that can identify top influencers and trending sets of social media data, allowing the agency to monitor these streams in real-time — and sift through the sarcasm. "We are not currently aware of any automated technology that could do that (detect sarcasm). No one is considered a leader in that,'" Jamie Martin, a data acquisition engineer at Sioux Falls, SD based Bright Planet, told CBS News.'

Why not just force Twitter to change TOS to require sarcasm tag?"

--- End quote ---

Oh wait...that's sarcasm innit?

40hz:
Surveillance technology use is more addictive than crack AFAICT.

One reason why I never participated in any project that involved monitoring people was because I have seen what this technology does to the people who use it.

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

IainB:
^^ Can surveillance be addictive? I hadn't known that.
To be snagged by something addictive - like a drug - one generally needs to have some susceptibility to it, a sort of innate natural dependency - e.g., smoking cigarettes, or alcoholism. Maybe there is something within us - a natural proclivity - to spy upon others. Maybe it is a survival thing - I mean, if one is spying upon others - potential enemies/competitors - then they can't be spying on oneself, and one knows more about them than they know about oneself, so one might have some kind of "powerful" feeling about it. Or maybe it's a form of voyeurism.
The nosy "twitching curtains" syndrome in small communities comes to mind.

wraith808:
No one is a villain in their own story.  That's just human nature.  Those that are behind PRISM and other initiatives think they're doing the right thing.  And I think that's the addictive part of it... the more you see, the more you think you need to see.

Stoic Joker:
No one is a villain in their own story.  That's just human nature.  Those that are behind PRISM and other initiatives think they're doing the right thing.  And I think that's the addictive part of it... the more you see, the more you think you need to see.-wraith808 (June 15, 2014, 12:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Someday, ^this should be a famous quote.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version