ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

<< < (105/139) > >>

IainB:
Just read this post at easydns.org. I don't know if it is alarmist, but it seems pretty serious.
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
YOU have a moral obligation to use crypto.
Written by Mark Jeftovic on February 11, 2014 — 5 Comments

Image: we_want_you_to_use_crypto

Today is The Day We Fight Back, a global initiative to send a message to our overlords that we're not thrilled about being spied on, subject to mass surveillance and basically living in an Orwellian nightmare.

Ordinarily we're not big "joiners" or "petition pushers", we think taking action has more efficacy. However, this is in it's own way doing just that. It is simply unfathomable to me how low on people's radar this issue is.

When the first revelations began surfacing that the NSA had basically implemented a surveillance state, I commented privately "just wait, eventually it will come out that Canada is doing the same thing".

Sure enough, reports started to surface about CSEC's activities, first engaging in industrial espionage against trading partners and then more recently, setting up wifi honeypots in Canadian airports to track Canadian citizens.

What surprised me was the lack of reaction from the populace here about this latest revelation. Trust me: this isn't just about an experiment in an airport tracking metadata, it's just the tip of the iceberg.

A lot of people like using us because we're not in the USA, and some of the rationalizations behind that perceived benefit still hold true: somewhat saner copyright laws (at least for the moment), not being wimps when it comes to idiotic takedown requests, et al.

But the idea that we are somehow "out of reach of the NSA" is definitely not one of them. Sure, we're not actively collaborating with them, as many US businesses are, but as we've said before: we just assume the pipes going into and out of our major network exchange points are being vacuumed en masse.

That's why we recently rolled out GPG encrypted email forwarding and will soon make it available on easyMail where it can encrypt your IMAP mailboxes. It's why we're going to spin out a personal privacy appliance fairly soon.

Because signing petitions is all well and good,  the anarcho-libertarian in me (not speaking for the entire company, or then again maybe I am) suspects that the political system we live under here in the "the Globalized World Order" is more or less bankrupt, corrupt and has lost all legitimacy to rule. It doesn't matter if next election one political party says "we're going to conduct a review of our intelligence agencies" and the other one says "we'll have a full public inquiry!". That's not a choice. There hasn't been real choice in the political menu in decades. So citizens can scream as loud as they want that "this is wrong!", it isn't going to sway our overlords from the current path.

That's why it's up to all of us to do it ourselves: start using crypto, take a look at things like bitcoin. Become hard to surveil, not because you're "doing nothing wrong", but because the government is.

--- End quote ---

I don't know that "Today is The Day We Fight Back" though. It looks rather like it was a non-event.
Maybe there's little appetite left to fight the Monster State.

IainB:
Guido Fawkes puts it in an amusing wrapper, as usual, but this seems quite serious. I hadn't realised that GCHQ/NSA were apparently so amazingly up to their armpits in deliberately fomenting revolution/war in targetted nations using so many tech + psych. skills.
Secret GCHQ Plan to Annoy Guido

tomos:
I hadn't realised that GCHQ/NSA were apparently so amazingly up to their armpits in deliberately fomenting revolution/war [...]-IainB (February 27, 2014, 04:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

this is not directly related to the linked presentation (? - it may be implied, but not clearly - although I would have been happier if the images were bigger, i.e. I may have missed something).

And I'm not saying they're not - and you may even have posted before here about it - but if you're going to throw out a statement that bald, it needs/deserves a reference/link.

TaoPhoenix:

I don't know that "Today is The Day We Fight Back" though. It looks rather like it was a non-event.
Maybe there's little appetite left to fight the Monster State.
-IainB (February 12, 2014, 04:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yep. Some random day two weeks ago.

Stoic Joker:
although I would have been happier if the images were bigger-tomos (February 27, 2014, 05:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Bottom right button of player makes it full screen - I couldn't see them before that either. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version