ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

<< < (61/139) > >>

dr_andus:
Some lame denials of the US's involvement in David Miranda's ordeal:

"There was a heads up that was provided by the British government, so this was something we had an indication was likely to occur."

The White House declined to comment on whether Mr Miranda's name was on a "watch list" maintained by the US Transportation Security Administration.

It also declined to comment on whether the US was given access to Mr Miranda's laptop or anything on the laptop.
--- End quote ---

The US can't go after Snowden, so now it goes after anyone connected to the Snowden affair. This seems to suggest that a) there are still some very sensitive data in Greenwald's possession that they would prefer he didn't publish, or b) they know that the cat is out of the bag but the bureaucracy needs to go through the motions to set a deterrant to future whistleblowers and meet out 'justice,' or c) both of the above.

But it needs to be some incredibly important material if the UK government was ready to risk being labelled anti-free press and engage in the kind of intimidation of journalists for which they usually lambast Russia and other less 'democratic' nations...

TaoPhoenix:
I'm voting Both.

But can he/Snowden lay down the fourth ace that really kicks this up a notch?

What would that even be!? Anyone want to do a "thought experiment"? What could he possibly say that's new and groundbreaking?

His message part 1 was "they are spying on you". Other stuff has been finesses and details. But are there any more aces? Or is the US Whitewashing machine too strong?!

Renegade:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/19/glenn-greenwald-uk-secrets-britain-detains-partner_n_3779667.html

"I will be far more aggressive in my reporting from now. I am going to publish many more documents. I am going to publish things on England too. I have many documents on England's spy system. I think they will be sorry for what they did," Greenwald, speaking in Portuguese, told reporters at Rio's airport where he met Miranda upon his return to Brazil.

"They wanted to intimidate our journalism, to show that they have power and will not remain passive but will attack us more intensely if we continue publishing their secrets," he said.

--- End quote ---

It seems unfortunate that he said "they'll be sorry". That will be used to attack Grenwald constantly.

Though I am wondering just how long before he joins other journalists/reporters/investigators like Andrew Breitbart, Michael Hastings, and Barnaby Jack, all of whom were about to release findings or were on a "big story".

Glen has painted an even bigger target on his back.

Any bets on how he dies? Car crash? Suddenly drops dead on his front steps? "Absolutely no foul-play here. Coroner's office has nothing to report. Nope. Nothing at all. This is not the murder you are looking for. Move along."

Renegade:
Anyone want to see yet another one of the trillion examples of just how clueless TPTB are? This is damn funny! (Once you get over the overt criminality and Stasi tactics.)

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/security-it/uk-government-destroyed-guardian-hard-drives-over-snowden-story-20130820-hv1fx.html

British government officials ordered the destruction of hard drives at the Guardian offices in London that purportedly contained information relating to NSA leaker Edward Snowden, Guardian editor Alan Rusbridger has revealed.

They took the action even though Rusbridger explained it was pointless, he said. The Guardian's NSA reporting is written, stored and edited in New York, he told them, and journalist Glenn Greenwald, the lead reporter on the story, lives in Brazil.

The officials from GCHQ, Britain's equivalent of the NSA, were apparently unaware of the concept of information in the cloud – and seemed satisfied that they had been able to destroy something tangible. "'We can call off the black helicopters,' joked one as we swept up the remains of a MacBook Pro," Rusbridger wrote on the Guardian website.
--- End quote ---

Guess this is just more proof that there's an IQ ceiling for hiring police-thugs.

Renegade:
Some commentary in art on the Grenwald/Miranda/Guardian issue:

http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2013-08-20/information-not-free

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version