ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Knight to queen's bishop 3 - Snowden charged with espionage.

<< < (48/139) > >>

dr_andus:
Another ridiculous twist in the saga: you'll never guess who wants to give Snowden a new passport now...

Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. said in a letter sent to the Russian minister of justice this week that the United States would not seek the death penalty against Edward J. Snowden, and would issue him a passport immediately so he could travel back to the United States. (...)

“We believe these assurances eliminate these asserted grounds for Mr. Snowden’s claim that he should be treated as a refugee or granted asylum, temporary or otherwise”

--- End quote ---

This is an implicit acknowledgement by the US govt that their previous strategy of revoking the passport had spectacularly backfired. Somebody is eating humble pie now in the White House or the State Dept...

The question now is whether 40hz's theory gets justified and the Russians hand Snowden over. I still do not believe that that would happen. The Americans would need to offer a massive trade in exchange (such as repealing the Magnitsky bill, which I just can't see happening).

Renegade:
Magnitsky bill? You mean the "Sergei Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act of 2012"?

Back now... I had to go change my pants as I pissed myself laughing. :P

I just can't hear the words "rule of l...

Sorry. Back again. Pissed myself while rolling on the floor in hysteria yet again. I'll avoid those words lest I have another uncontrollable peeing fit. I hate doing pissy laundry. And the carpet is going to need cleaning. Sigh. :(

I'm still rooting for Snowden.

It would be pants-warming funny to see him get a new US passport only to fly to Venezuela. I'd totally whiz myself laughing yet again, and thoroughly enjoy it! :P

(Really, it's kind of like a mini-warm bath or slipping into a hot tub!) :P

Stoic Joker:
...And ^that^ was today's watersports report! :D

Renegade:
...And ^that^ was today's watersports report! :D
-Stoic Joker (July 26, 2013, 11:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

We aim to entertain! :D

Gold, silver or bronze peeformance there? ;)

dr_andus:
The American FBI and Russian FSB security services are "in talks" over US fugitive Edward Snowden, according to the Russian president's spokesman.
--- End quote ---

That is one strange admission, to so publicly declare that the horse-trading is being conducted by the security agencies... I imagine it goes something like this: "If you give us Snowden, we'll not arrest the following 20 Russian spies we know about on US soil..."

However, Dmitry Peskov repeated Russia's position that it would "not hand anyone over".
--- End quote ---

The question is whether this statement is part of the horse-trading strategy, or a statement of principle (i.e. handing Snowden over would set a dangerous precedent, leading to other extradition requests).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version