ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Non-Notepad(MS) Thread!

<< < (9/11) > >>

ander2255:
Plain text files are tremendously useful... I never did understand why people felt they needed fancy word processors to keep notes and lists of stuff.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I also use a text editor for composing email replies (I don't trust online editors).

For freeware editors, I can personally recommend Notepad++ and PSPad. And RJ TextEd is also worth a look. All three include spell checkers, which not all text editors have—many being oriented toward programming.

Cheers, Ander

oblivion:
Plain text files are tremendously useful... I never did understand why people felt they needed fancy word processors to keep notes and lists of stuff.-ander2255 (July 28, 2013, 05:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
Probably because they like text enhancements and automatic formatting. But at the very least, something tiny that does richtext is good enough for most people’s needs most of the time, I’d have said.

But if you’ve been out and bought a PC with an evaluation copy of Office on it and you don’t understand that there are low-cost or free alternatives, you’re probably also not going to get (a) that you don’t need Word for a shopping list or, for that matter, (b) that emailing .docx files is Irritating, for all sorts of reasons.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I also use a text editor for composing email replies (I don't trust online editors).
--- End quote ---

It does require that you remember the syntax for text enhancements -- or not use them, of course. (Said the chap writing from inside Jarte :) )

And RJ TextEd is also worth a look.
--- End quote ---

Not one I’d come across. So I’ve downloaded the portable version.

HOW BIG??!!  :o

Nearly 100Mb once extracted from the (slightly less than half that) zipfile? Good grief. It’d better be good!

(There are times when I remember that the first PC I had regular use of had 640k RAM and a 20MB hard disk -- and that WordStar ran comfortably from a small fraction of that disk space :) Okay, okay, [/old fart mode] ;) )

IainB:
I use xplorer², and it has an excellent Notepad-replacement Editor called Editor2. It's "About" note says it is "the Quadratic Notepad replacement" and that it is "free as beer". It's rather nifty and very fast.
Installed filename is editor2_64.exe (size 217kB) for the Win-64 installation of xplorer².

"ReadMe" txt file: Editor2.txt Editor2.txt (17.09 kB - downloaded 223 times.)

Edvard:
HA! Iain! I was waiting for a second on my vote.  Thank you  :Thmbsup:
Also a big fan of xplorer², when I'm on Windows that is...

IainB:
HA! Iain! I was waiting for a second on my vote.  Thank you  :Thmbsup:
Also a big fan of xplorer², when I'm on Windows that is...
-Edvard (July 29, 2013, 09:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Oops, sorry. I had not been following this thread until recently, and in my haste I did not look over the previous page - if I had of done, I would have quoted your comment and added +1 to it. As it was, I unintentionally duplicated it.    :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version