ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

PirateBrowser released by The Pirate Bay

<< < (2/2)

Vurbal:
I notice they didn't mention China...
-Deozaan (August 10, 2013, 09:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think their point was more to put "North Korea" and "United Kingdom" in the same category and leave the rest to your imagination.

-Renegade (August 10, 2013, 10:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
When they're censoring people should put it in that context. In fact if you listen to what the politicians who favor censoring for anti-piracy say there's usually a reference to "China can do it, why can't we?" Not by coincidence IP protection is the excuse China typically uses in their press releases when they announce a new censorship plan.

40hz:
It's only a matter of time before a 'KimDotcom' repeat gets played on TPB.

I'm waiting...

Vurbal:
It's only a matter of time before a 'KimDotcom' repeat gets played on TPB.

I'm waiting...
-40hz (August 15, 2013, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually the MegaUpload thing was just a repeat of the Pirate Bay prosecution from a few years ago. In that case the "investigation" was run by a corrupt cop who was fed all the information by the IFPI (the international RIAA) and even left his job to work for them immediately afterward.

In typical US government style they were more arrogant about it so they operated on a grander scale and didn't even bother to vet what the MPAA fed them.

40hz:
^All too true. But I was referring more to the grand spectacle with pyrotechnics that went down in New Zealand.

Probably this time around they'll follow the time honored tactic of waiting until said "person of interest" visits or passes through a country with a US extradition treaty - or which has a history of cooperating with such requests in lieu of a treaty. Then the US will file a (usually bogus and nasty) criminal complaint in a US court and request extradition of said person to the US to stand trial. (Rape is the current favorite charge since it generates so much emotion in so many quarters that rational discussion often goes by the wayside. Which is a plus as far as some people are concerned.)
 :huh:

Vurbal:
^All too true. But I was referring more to the grand spectacle with pyrotechnics that went down in New Zealand.

Probably this time around they'll follow the time honored tactic of waiting until said "person of interest" visits or passes through a country with a US extradition treaty - or which has a history of cooperating with such requests in lieu of a treaty. Then the US will file a (usually bogus and nasty) criminal complaint in a US court and request extradition of said person to the US to stand trial. (Rape is the current favorite charge since it generates so much emotion in so many quarters that rational discussion often goes by the wayside. Which is a plus as far as some people are concerned.)
-40hz (August 15, 2013, 12:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Probably true. Every attempt will only get bigger, and therefore more transparent, because they think the reason past efforts haven't worked is not enough emotional manipulation. I suspect they'd prefer an easier target with less established public sympathy, but then again recognizing reality isn't their strong suit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version