ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Program to Start another program, and then shut down after xx:xx time.

<< < (4/8) > >>

shmuel1:
Skrommel has a program like that:
https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/index.html#OpeningHours

nkormanik:
Strange case....  AceReader Pro.  Set "RunAndKill" to terminate it after ONE minute.  When the one minute is up, the RunAndKill icon in the system tray disappears, but AceReader appears totally unaffected, still continues on uninterrupted.

Here's the ini file line specifying one minute:

killtime=00:01:00

Some additional weirdness about this particular AceReader program:

-- the AceReader exe requires an additional parameter, "Server"

I typed this parameter into the RunAndKill ini file, following the exe path as follows:

exe="C:\Program Files\AceReader Pro\ace.exe" Server

-- AceReader requires being started from WITHIN a certain directory, "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AceReader Pro\"

In order to accomplish this, I decided to copy RunAndKill, plus the ini file, INTO that folder.  Then I created a shortcut to it on my desktop.

Any idea why AceReader doesn't get KILLED, like it's supposed to??

By the way, using Windows Task Manager... I can see ace.exe running, and I can End Process, and AceReader does get terminated.  Same as I was hoping RunAndKill would do.

Much thanks,
Nicholas Kormanik

c.gingerich:
Nicholas - I'll take a look at this and get back to you as soon as I can.

c.gingerich:
I updated RunAndKill, please give it a try again.

http://starpunch.blogspot.com/2013/06/run-and-kill.html

nkormanik:
Chris, what a bummer.  Ace.exe still alive and kicking, even with your new version.  I can see it in Windows Task Manager.  And terminating from WTM really does kill it dead in its tracks.

What about just simply doing the kill part?  I'll load the program first.  Then double-click a c.gingerich "Kill."  And in xx minutes the program gets friggin nuked!!

"Kill" can ask for the program name to be nuked (same as what WTM shows, ace.exe), and the time to wait before nuking.  Maybe no need for user to even enter a path (in ini file), as, in present example, ace.exe is the only one with that name running.

"Kill" would be adding for user just the one additional step of starting the initial program first, before running the "Kill" grand terminator.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version