ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

clever and easy music distribution ideas

(1/3) > >>

superboyac:
On my new website, where I'll be posting my music, I want to make the actual songs available for free (for now) and I want to leverage the latest and greatest technologies we have available.  If anyone has suggestions, please throw them out!

the goal:
I want the music to get on the devices and pc's of users even if they can barely use a computer.

My ideas so far:
I have the mp3 file available as button download for desktop users).  For itunes (and other music management software), I'm hoping when they click on the button to download (links directly to the mp3 file), itunes will immediately pop up and add it to the library (is this correct?).
I also want a QR code with a direct link to the file so people can do the same with their mobile devices, whether it's an iphone, android, or whatever.. Once again, if the QR links to the direct file, it should always work, right?

edit, here's the website, for reference:
http://tbgentertainment.com/

40hz:
Take a look at bandcamp.com
 :Thmbsup:

Also - if you plan on eventually selling - it's wise to start managing fan expectations early  to avoid midunderstandings down the road.

Offer no more than one or two songs for free  If you'll be doing much more, set the rest up for "pay whatever you like", allow for generous free audition listening times for everything, and optionally set the bottom figure at $0 if you still feel that strongly about it.

It's not so important what you charge as you make a statement that you believe it's worth something up front. Otherwise many people feel resentful down the road when a price tag gets sprung on them. It's a common if somewhat irrational attitude - but so it goes.
 ;) 8)

TaoPhoenix:
On my new website, where I'll be posting my music, I want to make the actual songs available for free (for now) and I want to leverage the latest and greatest technologies we have available.  If anyone has suggestions, please throw them out!

the goal:
I want the music to get on the devices and pc's of users even if they can barely use a computer.

My ideas so far:
I have the mp3 file available as button download for desktop users).  For itunes (and other music management software), I'm hoping when they click on the button to download (links directly to the mp3 file), itunes will immediately pop up and add it to the library (is this correct?).
I also want a QR code with a direct link to the file so people can do the same with their mobile devices, whether it's an iphone, android, or whatever.. Once again, if the QR links to the direct file, it should always work, right?

edit, here's the website, for reference:
http://tbgentertainment.com/
-superboyac (June 20, 2013, 12:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I suggest that you first put a little pondering into the "licensing" side. Because there is no such thing as "for free, for now". Something that you make free needs to BE free. Now, *other things* can be upsells/add-ons/premium/etc, but you walked into a microcosm of what we rail about with the "limits on digital rights".

"I want to get the music on devices and pc's of users even if they can barely use a computer".

But then you have the classic "lazy line" on the bottom:
"Copyright © 2013 TBG Entertainment."

Nope. Not having it! BizarroAC cackles, from his chair with his cat:
"Yesssss Userssssssss. Come download the Preciousssss Sssssong... get it on alllll your devicesssssss... that'ssssss it. Torrent and Facebook and Tweet and Youtube and ssssshare away... Now let me call in my copyright for 95 years on it!!!"

So I don't know what your "monetization" plan is, but make it one of the really permissive Creative Commons licenses, like maybe Attribution Only. (And then list who we are supposed to attribute it to!) Then spread it to the wind!

40hz:
Note: if your goal is to "get signed" by a label, be careful about using Creative Commons.

Publishers (books music.etc.) want clear lines of ownership and title. They understand and like copyright laws and copyright assignments - probaby because they are also pretty successful (to date) whenever they choose to abuse them. Your having something under CC can muddy the waters and screw the deal.

Not saying to skip CC if thats where you're coming from. Just be aware it may have unexpected repercussions at some future time. Had a buddy lose out on a publishing deal because he released his comic book on the web under a CC two years before one of the biggies got interested. Because they couldn't be given exclusive distribution rights purely under copyright law due to that CC, they backed out.

Sad part was, if he just posted it and didn't do a CC on it, it would have been ok because he automatically had copyright, and retained full rights, just by virtue of being the creator of the work. But not after he CC'ed it.

All CC does for the creator is reduce *their rights*. Because each CC term chips away at what rights you already have under existing law. CC primarily protects the consumer - not the creator. That's important to realize.

superboyac:
Hmm...lots of food for thought here.  Thanks guys!
I was not aware of most of these things.  I wonder what my best approach is.  Do I expect to get signed?  Good question.  I didn't even think I was good enough to get signed, but if it's really a possibility, I'll consider it.

What if I do something where I put teaser tracks online (which is me doing all the parts), and then I record an album with all the parts played by the respective musicians, and that's the one I sell?  that way, for the free stuff, I do it with a certain set of procedures, and the stuff for sale I do with the more formal procedure.

But it sounds like 40hz is saying that even then, the labels may take issue with such an arrangement.  I'll have to look into this with the pros I have contact with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version