ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

clever and easy music distribution ideas

<< < (3/3)

40hz:
^FWIW I'm not a super big Dead fan myself. I like some of their songs and some of their lyrics. But I could never get into the whole mystical experience and tribal dimension many of their followers work their way into. (If I wanted to get that crazy I'm more the type who sunscreens up and heads over to Burning Man.) ;D

But I do admire their non-business business model. And the way they treated their fans.

And apparently their fans did too. Because the GD had to be one of the longest running and most consistent of all music phenomenons.

Don't know if their band model could be reproduced since it was definitely a product of the era that spawned it. In many respects it was a living fossil of what I consider a more gentle and civilized time in America - even if many who lived through it thought the US was coming apart at the seams at the time. Little did they know of how bad it would get once all that "peace and love hippie bullshit" finally got laid to rest and the "New Economy-Regan-Return to Conservatism and Traditional Values" Era kicked into high gear.

Still...a lot of the ferment that led to the creation of the counter-cultures of the 60s and early 70s (there actually were several btw) is beginning to be felt again. Largely because many of the same government and institutional abuses that sparked the original "60s" mindset are coming back with a vengeance - along with a raft of entirely new ones. So who knows? Maybe the Dead's operational model could be used again...

The catch is you'd have to realize that, when it came to the Grateful Dead, it wasn't just about the music. It was mainly about the vibe. (see above  :mrgreen:)
 :)

superboyac:
 :D lol, 40, you crack me up...because it's so true.

Here's what I want to make the business model around, but I don't know if it will work or if it is just too outmoded.  But here it is:
When I go to jazz/music shows, I like to pick people's brains about what they like/don't like.  And between the musicians and the hardcore fans, this is the best way for jazz, something that was happening a lot in the 50s-70s that doesn't happen much anymore, so maybe it's just old fashioned.  They used to play long sets, and in a somewhat casual atmosphere.  Like, if the piano player had to use the bathroom, another piano player from the audience would sit in until he came back.  And they would have extended shows as long as the audience was hanging around.  Not too formal with the two drink minimums, or with the set lists.  A bit more interaction with the audience than what we are used to now.

I guess I want to be somewhere in between a Diana Krall and that really good no-name local guy who makes no money and is really artistically intense.

40hz:
Keith Urban has that touch. I'm not much into his music either - but my older sister loves him and dragged me to a small concert he was doing before he got big.

I have seldom seen a performer connect with an audience better than him. And he did it within the first few minutes of the first set. Very down to earth and open guy.

About the only thing in music I've seen that was quicker is how fast Chic Corea can get into 'the groove.' (Note: for those who don't already know, that's within the first pico-second of the first beat of the first song on his set list. :greenclp:)

superboyac:
Keith Urban has that touch. I'm not much into his music either - but my older sister loves him and dragged me to a small concert he was doing before he got big.

I have seldom seen a performer connect with an audience better than him. And he did it within the first few minutes of the first set. Very down to earth and open guy.

About the only thing in music I've seen that was quicker is how fast Chic Corea can get into 'the groove.' (Note: for those who don't already know, that's within the first pico-second of the first beat of the first song on his set list. :greenclp:)
-40hz (June 21, 2013, 12:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I've never given Corea much of a chance, I should.  My teacher likes him a lot too, and I like him, so I figure it's gotta be good.

app103:
You should get yourself on every one of the following sites. The ones that allow you to give away mp3's, do so without you having to give up any of your rights to your music. All of them are either social networks, encourage sharing to social networks, or make it very easy for bloggers to share your music with their readers.

Inform me if you get on any of the sites in bold, and I'll help out as much as I can with spreading the word and getting people to listen, through various means. (G+, Facebook, Friendfeed, and my music blog, if it's an instrumental)

last.fm (you can give away mp3's here)
myspace.com
soundcloud.com (you can give away mp3's here)
reverbnation.com
bandcamp.com (you can give away mp3's here)

A new online radio site that encourages and rewards listeners for helping out indy artists by promoting them to their friends. You can get mailing list signups through this, too. Then you can offer your free mp3's to your mailing list subscribers.

earbits.com

Get on youtube, even if it is just with your music playing as background sound to a static image. Include a link to your site and offer for free mp3's with each video you post.

Sites that could be good or maybe to stay away from if you are opposed to CC licensing:

jamendo.com (they require CC licensing for you to upload your music)

Get in touch with these guys if any of your music falls into the Instrumental/Experimental/Post-Rock genres:

Lost Children

They go to the ends of the earth to promote and distribute their free CC licensed compilation albums and have a whole section for their releases on archive.org, and quite a following spread out all over the internet.

And if your stuff is post-rock, specifically, get in touch with the guy that runs the post-rock page on Facebook and see if he will share your stuff with his Facebook, Last.fm, twitter, youtube (and wherever else he is) subscribers.  (he hasn't posted very much music this month because he's been participating in the protests in Turkey, but he will be back to it, as soon as he can)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version