ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sci-fi novel now available from DC member kyrathaba!

<< < (45/186) > >>

4wd:
You might have picked these up in your proofing.

Prologue:
“Thanks for the ‘UT’, buddy. He set his cup on the table, then slid the data chip across the table. You keep that damned safe, S-man. We’ll talk later. Door, open for guest to exit.”
--- End quote ---

Missing quotes:

“Thanks for the ‘UT’, buddy.” He set his cup on the table, then slid the data chip across the table. “You keep that damned safe, S-man. We’ll talk later. Door, open for guest to exit.”

Chapter 1:
...and maybe a couple dozen meter deeper.
--- End quote ---

...and maybe a couple of dozen meters deeper.

Sallow-faced, and he had to have been even notably fatter, six months ago, than he appeared to be today.
--- End quote ---

Possibly:

Sallow-faced, he also appeared to be noticeably [leaner|thinner] than he had appeared six months [previous|ago].

...trying to take the emotional temperature of the group as a whole.
--- End quote ---

Possibly:

...trying to [gauge|judge] the emotional temperature of the group as a whole.

“Ease down off that railing and I’ll answer both questions, in either order you prefer,” quipped Sethra.
--- End quote ---

I'm probably being unusually dense but every time I read that, I keep wondering what the other question is/was.

Such puling drivel just about justifies their slow deaths he reflected.
--- End quote ---

The 'just about justifies' feels strange to me, possibly:

Such puling drivel almost justifies their slow deaths he reflected.

Chapter 2:
...and power cells to run them for up to at least thirty-six hours.
--- End quote ---

It feels a bit contradictory to me, ie. the 'up to' specifies a time limit of 36 hours, whereas the 'at least' specifies a minimum of 36 hours.  Possibly:

...and power cells to run them at least thirty-six hours.

Nothing will hinge on one single weak leak in the chain.
--- End quote ---

I think Perry mentioned this one and I'm sure there's been updates since but it still seems to be there: link

...once we go under into immersion, ...
--- End quote ---

The 'go under' feels redundant coupled with immersion but it's a 50/50 thing, maybe:

...once we're immersed, ...

That night Veronne stayed with Sethra in his cubicle.
--- End quote ---

Veronee

kyrathaba:
Exodore, please feel free to share any errors or style corrections you see that need to be implemented. I cannot have too many beta-reader eyes on this manuscript.

@4wd:

Missing quotes:

“Thanks for the ‘UT’, buddy.” He set his cup on the table, then slid the data chip across the table. “You keep that damned

safe, S-man. We’ll talk later. Door, open for guest to exit.”
--- End quote ---

I'd missed that one in my own review of the Prologue. Had prematurely congratulated myself that the Prologue had no

errors, LOL. Thanks, 4wd!

...and maybe a couple of dozen meters deeper.
--- End quote ---

I did catch this in my review.

Sallow-faced, he also appeared to be noticeably [leaner|thinner] than he had appeared six months [previous|ago].

--- End quote ---

Changed to:

Sallow-faced, he appeared to now be noticeably thinner than he had appeared six months ago.

...trying to [gauge|judge] the emotional temperature of the group as a whole.
--- End quote ---

Replaced "take" with "gauge". Good suggestion.

I'm probably being unusually dense but every time I read that, I keep wondering what the other question is/was.

--- End quote ---

Nope, you're not being dense. It was a case of I thought I'd written two questions, but I hadn't! Yikes!

Corrected to:

“Ease down off that railing and I’ll answer that question,” urged Sethra.

The 'just about justifies' feels strange to me, possibly:

Such puling drivel almost justifies their slow deaths he reflected.
--- End quote ---

Great catch! Fixed.

It feels a bit contradictory to me, ie. the 'up to' specifies a time limit of 36 hours, whereas the 'at least'

specifies a minimum of 36 hours.  Possibly:

...and power cells to run them at least thirty-six hours.
--- End quote ---

Fixed.

I think Perry mentioned this one and I'm sure there's been updates since but it still seems to be there: link

--- End quote ---

I'd caught that it my review. Thanks.

The 'go under' feels redundant coupled with immersion but it's a 50/50 thing, maybe:
--- End quote ---

Corrected to:

once we go undergo immersion,

That night Veronne stayed with Sethra in his cubicle.
--- End quote ---

Fixed.

Thanks 4wd!

I'm going to upload these corrections, along with the results of my fine-toothed combing of Prologue up through Chapter 8. The upload in the OP will be called "reviewed_thru_8.zip".

kyrathaba:
Ok, that upload is done, and I've also updated the online HTML version of the existing manuscript. This morning, I start with Chapter 9 and continue combing. Looking forward to resuming writing additional material (Chapters 16 forward) very soon!

Again, let me stress how incredibly helpful your beta-reading has been! Literally scores of problems found and fixed. No wonder so many self-publishers flop. I can't understand how anyone could bypass betareading/proofing.

4wd:
I found the couple or so days of not having updates let me put it aside and then start looking at it afresh....onto chapter 3 later :)

I'm going to end up knowing this book better than my all time favourite: The Stainless Steel Ratw

kyrathaba:
Chapter 9 combed. Found a few errors, but generally in good shape. Moving on to Chapter 10...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version