ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sci-fi novel now available from DC member kyrathaba!

<< < (42/186) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
^ "Can't read a book by its cover"?
-kyrathaba (June 23, 2013, 09:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Judgew
The English idiom "don't judge a book by its cover" is a metaphorical phrase which means "you shouldn't prejudge the worth or value of something, by its outward appearance alone".-WikiPedia
--- End quote ---

kyrathaba:
You shouldn't prejudge the worth or value of something, by its outward appearance alone".
--- End quote ---

Yet people do, especially with regard to books (physical or e-book).

4wd:
Page 16.23 "He eased his bulk onto the front edge of his massive office desk, crossed his arms, and cocked his head up at Jaimie." So Jaimie is standing and taller than Jim when he's almost standing (perched on the desk)?
--- End quote ---

By my calculations, it would put his eye-level at approximately 140-155cm from ground level, (based on average leg to torso ratios) :)
-4wd (June 23, 2013, 05:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're awesome... so Jammie is standing and taller than 155-170cm?-Perry Mowbray (June 23, 2013, 06:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, it wasn't that hard  :-[

Average leg:torso ratio for males is slightly more than 50:50, average desk height I put at around 700-800mm, (going by the desks I have), we already know his height, (170cm), add a little for eye-level - and I'm probably way off   ;D

155cm = ~5'1", which I would have thought is on the short side, add about 100mm for their eyes to be level.  So in theory, she'd need to be about 166+cm when standing, (then extra 1cm is so he has to look up).

But, of course, this is all academic now   ;)

Perry Mowbray:

You're awesome... so Jammie is standing and taller than 155-170cm?-Perry Mowbray (June 23, 2013, 06:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, it wasn't that hard  :-[
-4wd (June 24, 2013, 12:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was appreciative of the effort, regardless of the difficulty  :)

Perry Mowbray:
Chapter 14
Page 23.3 "Unless they grew so long that they broke off and fell into the pool." Do you think he would have seen evidence on the ceiling of the cave of the remains of broken stalactites?

Page 23.8 "Gliding along the bottom, Grant noted “No loose stone or other detritus." Does that need punctuation? 'Gliding along the bottom, Grant noted, “No loose stone or other detritus.'

Chapter 15
Page 24.3 "The training that King Molech had mentioned the previous night at supper had begun after a breakfast of some sort of hot creamed wheat flavored by diced up pieces of peaches." What do you think of 'The training that King Molech had mentioned the previous night at supper had begun after a breakfast, which consisted of some sort of hot creamed wheat flavored by diced up pieces of peaches.'... I kept stumbling over the sentence when reading it out, so it may just be me?

Page 24.5 "The noise of clashing practice swords drifted up to them from the courtyard below" Would they have known what practice swords sounded like?

Page 24.12 "Please, continue educating us about the Ashwood and the orcs." Everywhere else 'The Ashwood'

Page 24.13 well... not everywhere "As I was pointing out, the Ashwood surrounds the township on three sides."

Page 24.19 "She turned in about in her fingers" should be 'it'

... and with that we're stuck at the end with nothing more to read!!!  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version