ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Sci-fi novel now available from DC member kyrathaba!

<< < (40/186) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
Page 17.44 "There was a lengthy pause before Sethra admitted, “If they do either of those things in the near future, then our existence will suddenly end, as if an appliance’s power cell were removed. But remember this: just as our former reality provided a means of entering this new reality, and leaving our former bodies behind, we may discover access points onto yet other realities that can be reached from this world, realities wherein the substrate for our consciousnesses is not dependent upon computer power.” Every time I read this I think that he's forgotten the most obvious: that they'd not be alive in either reality ;)
--- End quote ---

I think that's more a question for philosophical debate, "I think, therefore I am." :)
-4wd (June 23, 2013, 05:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't disagree... I just immediately thought of the more simplistic answer that if A-3 had been destroyed then it didn't matter if they were in A-3 physically or a computer in A-3, they'd be dead either way.

kyrathaba:
I think I also meant that he'd mentioned that it was called a Glow Globe earlier in the paragraph (I think), and

I'm not sure he'd repeat himself unless he thought it hadn't sunk in the first time?
--- End quote ---

You were right: I went back and checked and I had already mentioned it. Changed the whole passage to read as follows:

“They’re called glow globes, or just ‘globes,’” Sethra explained. You just saw one when I paid for our meal. Each of you

should have a couple in your coin purses too, as well as a few lesser denominations. In the Land of Kyrathaba, the basic

unit of exchange is called a Chit Coin. It’s a ceramic coin about three centimeters across and perhaps three millimeters

thick. Higher monetary denominations take the form of various crystalline or precious stone objects, each of which is

worth some multiple of the Chit Coin. Glow globes are about 2.5 centimeters in diameter and give off a dim pearly

luminescence. They can be found growing in rocky terrain, and sometimes in caves. Wizards prize them for their magical

properties. But for our purposes, they’re worth approximately twenty Chit Coins.”

not sure now... I thnik my bairn's sabrecmld
--- End quote ---

Heh. We can either say "grow up to know" or "grow up knowing". Right now, it's "grow up to know the appearance of their

enemy."

Just thought I'd pass it on... I find it encouraging how much Sandi is interacting with the novel.
--- End quote ---

As an indie author getting ready to publish his first novel, I'm certainly encouraged by your description of her

interaction with the book.

OK... I'd be careful though how much stuff you put in from our living memory as that can get a little... not sure

what it's called?  Maybe using son / daughter of living famous people would convey enough of their genetic likenesses?

--- End quote ---

I think I understand what you mean. I've deleted the direct reference to Sean Connery. Now the passage reads:

King Molech was a dignified, shrewd-looking man with piercing blue eyes and a neatly trimmed white beard. To Veronee

Houston, he looked strikingly like a handsome twentieth-century television actor she’d seen in several movies drawn from

the compound’s media database. Tonight, he wore a light but gleaming golden circlet upon his brow, rather than the heavy

jewel-encrusted crown required when he held court.

Yes... you could even have it remain but more subtle like "Byron winked at Zuzana" type thing without explicitly

explaining why?

--- End quote ---

Ooh! I like that idea! How's this?

King Molech then studied Sethra intently. “You are not from here.”
Sethra nodded in what he hoped was a respectful manner. “No, my king. We are from a faraway land called Aythree.” Byron

winked at Zuzana. The king sighed. “You pierced the veil to come here, did you not? You are a world-walker.”

This may just be language differences (me not understanding fully)... would you consider "nose to nose" (not sure

if that has other connotations)? The other thing that bothered me was that 'was' felt soft, whereas I had the impression

that Sethra reacted strongly and quickly... 'Sethra gripped Byron's shoulders, nose to nose with his friend with a wild

look on his face, "Hush! ...'
--- End quote ---

Totally agree. It now reads:

Sethra gripped Byron's shoulders, nose to nose with his friend with a wild look on his face, "Hush!" he whispered harshly.

“Don’t mock his voice. There are guards outside our room. What if they reported it?”

I really love it when I'm reading and what I've read makes Sandi laugh spontaneously
--- End quote ---

That's fantastically encouraging to me as the author!

kyrathaba:
You're awesome... so Jammie is standing and taller than 155-170cm?
--- End quote ---

Changed that to:

He eased his bulk onto the front edge of his massive office desk, crossed his arms, and looked at Jaimie. So there's no longer any reference to height (looking up to, down at, etc.)

I don't disagree... I just immediately thought of the more simplistic answer that if A-3 had been destroyed then it didn't matter if they were in A-3 physically or a computer in A-3, they'd be dead either way.

--- End quote ---

Changed the passage to read as so:

Zuzana turned the spitted rabbits. “What if, on a lark, the aliens decide to implode every subterranean compound, or to launch a kinetic missile of sufficient mass to demolish the globe? What happens to us then?”
There was a lengthy pause before Sethra admitted, “If they do either of those things in the near future, then our existence will suddenly end.”
“Near future?” asked Byron, seeking clarification.
“I’ve a theory, but I’m not ready to try to articulate it, yet,” said Sethra.
They paused in their discussion to eat, pulling hot bits of surprisingly savory flesh from their cooked meal. As the night deepened and it grew cooler, they donned their cloaks and bedded down. Into the flickering shadows cast by the lowering fire, Veronee asked, “What’s the name of this reality, anyway?”

kyrathaba:
^ updated last passage above. See what you think.

kyrathaba:
Anyone on here who could take the full-size cover image (click here, then enlarge by clicking on image) and smooth out the blocky pixelation where I added the title in the upper right of the image?

I'm also interested in a snazzier cover, and would be willing to donate some donation credits if anyone is interested and can develop a cover that we agree better reflects the novel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version