ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Raspberry/Arduinoe/etc. - Choosing a device questions?

<< < (3/3)

wraith808:
Or, if you're in no hurry the C.H.I.P. computer can handle audio input/output and is cheap.
-4wd (December 29, 2015, 03:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Recommending CHIP over Onion?  Why is that?  Just curious...-wraith808 (December 29, 2015, 11:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's cheaper :)

Plus I haven't really looked at the audio input/output capabilities of the Onion whereas I knew that the C.H.I.P. had both with no extra hardware requirement.  To record a sound as a WAV file.  To play a sound, (WAV, OGG, MP3).

So really just a matter of seeing whether the C.H.I.P. can do the MP3 encoding on-the-fly when recording, (1GHz vs 400Mhz CPU in the Onion, 8 times the RAM, 4GB of onboard storage that can be used for buffering).  Depending on what the final recording qualities are to be, if it's for something that only requires a low bitrate, (like voice), then I would think it'll have no trouble.

It can also handle USB flash drives without requiring a hub since you can still connect a mouse/keyboard via Bluetooth.  Add a LiPo cell and you have battery backup if that's important.

I've got two C.H.I.P.s arriving sometime next year along with a HDMI adapter, something else to sit on the desk and gather dust  ;D
-4wd (December 29, 2015, 09:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ok... thanks for the breakout!  I was just wondering as I knew you'd used the onion.  Mine is still in my static bag.  I have a CHIP coming too, so was wondering your reason for the preference.  They've offered to ship me a new mini dock for the price of shipping... but their cart wouldn't handle the shipping.  *sigh*.  They've also said after being sent a picture, insert the needle here... but that didn't work.  I'm getting quite tired of the back and forth on it.  :(

4wd:
They've offered to ship me a new mini dock for the price of shipping... but their cart wouldn't handle the shipping.  *sigh*.-wraith808 (December 30, 2015, 11:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Raspberry/Arduinoe/etc. - Choosing a device questions?

Yours if you want it, I don't have a use for it.

wraith808:
Wow! Thanks!  I'd given up... PM incoming!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version