ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Worth Reading: Trevor Pott's editorial on NSA PRISM and its real ramifications

<< < (28/58) > >>

CWuestefeld:
But here's the rub...when voting someone out...who steps in to fill the void?
-40hz (June 20, 2013, 04:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is the question, is it not?
-wraith808 (June 20, 2013, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think a possible answer is: anybody else.

If we just keep throwing out any bum that won't follow the rules, I hope they'd learn that *we* are the masters, and get their acts together. After just a few cycles, things would get better.

I'm not sure that's true, but I think it's worth trying.

barney:
Probably irrelevant, but I don't recall voting for anyone since I achieved - acquired? - majority.

[edit] Wouldn't that be pretty much going for the lesser of evils?  If we've gone that far (or are that far gone)  ...

wraith808:
If we just keep throwing out any bum that won't follow the rules, I hope they'd learn that *we* are the masters, and get their acts together. After just a few cycles, things would get better.
-CWuestefeld (June 20, 2013, 06:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

There was a conference made up of movers and shakers from several fortune 500 companies.  The moderator of one of the main sessions asked a question: if you could play by the rules and in 10 years double the profits of the company and have a stable company, or in 2 years triple it, knowing it would be out of business in 5, which would you do.

The majority said the out of business in 5.

One of the checks and balances against the abuse of power, I think, is the existence of people already in power, paradoxically.  Without that bulwark, and without knowing the quality of those being put into power, and knowing that they had a limited time to get what they could, I think you'd see a lot more slash and burn.

kyrathaba:
Reated article in The Guardian

CWuestefeld:
More worth reading:

http://antiprism.eu/
We are appalled to learn of the unprecedented surveillance of Internet users worldwide through PRISM and similar programmes. Blanket surveillance capabilities such as these, especially when implemented without citizens' scrutiny, seriously threaten the human rights to free speech and privacy and with them the foundations of our democracies.

--- End quote ---

Maybe Europe can help us out. If their business won't work with us because of objections to spying, maybe our business will put enough pressure on the government to dump the spying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version