ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Worth Reading: Trevor Pott's editorial on NSA PRISM and its real ramifications

<< < (5/58) > >>

wraith808:
And app... from the interview and pointing at your article...

"A lot of people in 2008 voted for Obama. I did not vote for him. I voted for a third party. But I believed in Obama's promises. I was going to disclose it [but waited because of his election]. He continued with the policies of his predecessor."

--- End quote ---

wraith808:
Another article on Snowden... one which makes me wonder about the competence of the NSA (which I never wondered about before)

Specifically the following:
Mr. Snowden attributed his access to documents seemingly beyond the purview of his job to his work in network security, which would allow him to access a wide variety of secret files. Some large companies are currently lobbying the federal government to grant more of their employees security clearances, in part to fend off hackers from Iran, China and elsewhere.

--- End quote ---

Really?  REALLY?!?  And he'd only been working there for three months?

Outside of PRISM, that's really just outlandishly stupid.

More from Time

Snowden claimed vast powers to both initiate surveillance and shut down the U.S. programs.

“I had full access to the full rosters of everyone working at the NSA, the entire intelligence community, and undercover assets all around the world,” he told The Guardian. In a video posted on the website, Snowden claimed that “Any analyst at any time can target anyone … I, sitting at my desk, certainly have the authorities to wiretap anyone — from you or your accountant, to a federal judge, to even the President.”

Additionally he claimed he said he could shut down the entire system in an afternoon if he wanted to. The revelation that Snowden was a contractor with that wide-ranging access to some of the most closely guarded U.S. government programs is sure to provoke a reexamination of the explosion of contractors filling traditional government jobs in defense and intelligence agencies.

--- End quote ---

rgdot:
Don't have to tell anybody how I feel about Bush but ... It started when people allowed it to start.

IainB:
This is from 2006: Wire-tapping in US.swf
I thought it was rather well done.

TaoPhoenix:

Today's xkcd has a beautiful "spark of rebellion" nature to it:
http://xkcd.com/1223/

:Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version