ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Worth Reading: Trevor Pott's editorial on NSA PRISM and its real ramifications

<< < (16/58) > >>

wraith808:
Sorry about chopping this up so much. I just wanted to share what went through my head as I read it.
-Stoic Joker (June 13, 2013, 06:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

You cut out the most telling line, however... :P

The problem isn't in that.  The problem is in the policing, i.e. who watches the watchers?  How can we know that they can't get access without a court order.  The court order isn't an encryption key- it's a standard court order.  So they *always* have access... we just have to trust them not to use it unless due process has been followed.

I got nothing.  I don't trust human nature that much.  And once you do have oversight to that extent, more people have access. I just don't trust the checks and balances.
-wraith808 (June 13, 2013, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

And one other point...

Now all of a sudden this (allegedly) non-existent content just magically appears out of thin air.
--- End quote ---

From what I heard in the testimony (I was forced to watch it as it was the only thing on while waiting at the IRS office for a stupidly long time), this data isn't said to not exist, nor to just magically appear.  It's just not in what they can look at without a court order.

“If we didn’t collect that ahead of time, we couldn’t make these connections, so what we create is a set of data and we put it out here and then only under specific times can we query that data.”
That was National Security Agency (NSA) head Gen. Keith Alexander in testimony to the Senate Appropriations Committee on June 12 admitting that phone metadata on everybody is in fact being collected in real-time.

--- End quote ---

Courtesy of NetRightDaily.com

Stoic Joker:
However if there truly are no supporters of that side (which I highly suspect - But have been wrong before) of the discussion ... Then A. we have in a microcosmic fashion proved my theory, and B. afforded some breathing room for the threads safety here.
-Stoic Joker (June 13, 2013, 06:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, I have some evidence refuting your theory. It appears that public opinion overall is much less clear than within this community.-CWuestefeld (June 13, 2013, 09:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hm... not exactly. My initial assertion was that the statistics were being tampered with to reflect a bleaker view in that they always show either majority support for the governments misbehavior, or very little objection to it. Anything in the vicinity of a 50/50 does not depict a clear hell no response.

Stoic Joker:
Sorry about chopping this up so much. I just wanted to share what went through my head as I read it.
--- End quote ---

You cut out the most telling line, however... :P
-wraith808 (June 13, 2013, 06:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sort of ... I was actually agreeing with you on that part by using the 40s phone shenanigans bit. Outlining a history of untrustworthy abuse and all that sort of thing. ;)

Stoic Joker:
And one other point...

Now all of a sudden this (allegedly) non-existent content just magically appears out of thin air.
--- End quote ---

From what I heard in the testimony (I was forced to watch it as it was the only thing on while waiting at the IRS office for a stupidly long time), this data isn't said to not exist, nor to just magically appear.  It's just not in what they can look at without a court order.-wraith808 (June 13, 2013, 06:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Holy crap man ... Now that's a bad day!

But as you mention it was only after suffering through the entire protracted spiel that this little detail was "clarified". None of the official 6 O'clock news (hand feedings...) ever mentioned the existence of anything other than the ~mostly harmless~ metadata.

Tinman57:

Stoic Joker, by looking at your "Chopped" post, methinks you have a very good understanding on this.  +1000

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version