ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

From the B.F.D. Dept. - Microsoft releases first video preview of Win 8.1

<< < (5/6) > >>

Nod5:
I don't want to spoil your sense of optimism but I'm told that the presenter's wish had been for a full head of hair.
-cranioscopical (June 07, 2013, 09:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
;D That wish is unlikely to materialize given the fact that Microsoft have handed the reigns over to Ballmer who, among other things, is not a keep-a-full-head-of-hair-expert.

Nod5:
However, there are a number of apps installed whose names I cannot recall, hence cannot search for them.  These are applications that were installed for [usually] one (1) specific function not available in my mainstream programs.  For instance, there are three (3) different regex programs installed, each for a specific usage - a usage that I found lacking while working in other, sometimes similar, programs.
-barney (June 07, 2013, 08:38 PM)
--- End quote ---
I have a lot of such seldom use programs too. But I don't worry about that in moving to Win 8 since I don't use the start menu in Win 7 anyway. I use three tools instead:
1. the Quicklaunch toolbar on the taskbar. I have it show a few of the programs I use most (Firefox, VLC, etc) and then the drop down (or rather drop up) menu has around 50 more. I've there renamed some links to seldom use programs by adding descriptive tags. E.g. "shellexview shell extensions manage edit nirsoft". The drop menu shows all the (small) icons and names at the same time without having to scroll. That makes it very quick to browse and find an app, even if I don't remember its name.
2. FARR. The description/tags added to the program link names makes the programs easy to find in a FARR search. E.g. typing "shell ext" shows shellexview as the number one result in FARR.
3. Everything. If I haven't found it after a few seconds using FARR I pass the search to Everything which then almost always finds it.

Maybe the same search/browse setup could work for you too? I don't have a thousand programs but I think this way of finding/launching programs would scale up well. Quicklaunch and FARR both work in Win 8 (caveat: I've only played with the Win 8 RTM trial a bit).

cranioscopical:
2. FARR.
3. Everything.
-Nod5 (June 08, 2013, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Heartily agree  :Thmbsup:
Win-X can sometimes help.

My wife finds Start8 quite useful — Stardock practically gives it away.
FWIW, the way my wife's machine is set up, she can't tell that it's not W7.

Carol Haynes:
I have yet to meet a customer who likes Windows 8 (mostly home users) and they are relieved when I point them at Start8.

From what I have gathered the 'new' start button in 8.1 just takes you back to the start screen (saves scrabbling in the corner I suppose but doesn't address a fundamental need for business and mouse users).

40hz:
I don't want to spoil your sense of optimism but I'm told that the presenter's wish had been for a full head of hair.
-cranioscopical (June 07, 2013, 09:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
;D That wish is unlikely to materialize given the fact that Microsoft have handed the reigns over to Ballmer who, among other things, is not a keep-a-full-head-of-hair-expert.
-Nod5 (June 08, 2013, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I understand his "state of the pate" had something to do with his days as a college freshman when he kept hoping he'd get bald real soon... :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version