ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

From the B.F.D. Dept. - Microsoft releases first video preview of Win 8.1

<< < (4/6) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Our accountant is in his late 70s. He is not an advanced user by any measure. He recently made the jump from XP to Win8 on his home computer. Neither he nor his wife have had any major issues adapting to the new UI.
-Stoic Joker (June 06, 2013, 06:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think that may be more a function of their level of useage rather than an indication of how usable the interface actually is.-40hz (June 06, 2013, 08:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

He uses an RDP connection from the home/8 machine to connect to the office and generate reports (From the accounting software to Excel) which frequently are transferred to either paper and/or the 8 machine for further processing/analysis.

Granted that ain't power user level interaction...but he ain't just farting around on FaceBook either.

Nod5:
Could those here who have used Win 8 for some time and who don't use the new Start Screen stuff say what you wish for in 8.1 (or subsequent updates)? Is there any feature in Win 7 that you miss, and haven't found an adequate replacement/workaround for, in Win 8? Let us put the start button aside however - anything other than the start button? I'm still on Win 7 but am getting closer and closer to move up to  8.

barney:
Could those here who have used Win 8 for some time and who don't use the new Start Screen stuff say what you wish for in 8.1 (or subsequent updates)? Is there any feature in Win 7 that you miss, and haven't found an adequate replacement/workaround for, in Win 8? Let us put the start button aside however - anything other than the start button? I'm still on Win 7 but am getting closer and closer to move up to  8.
-Nod5 (June 07, 2013, 04:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, but the start button or Windows Key is indirectly involved.

I can remember the names of my primary programs, those that I use on a near-daily basis.

However, there are a number of apps installed whose names I cannot recall, hence cannot search for them.  These are applications that were installed for [usually] one (1) specific function not available in my mainstream programs.  For instance, there are three (3) different regex programs installed, each for a specific usage - a usage that I found lacking while working in other, sometimes similar, programs.

Since I cannot call their names off the top of my head, I've installed them in specific start menu subdivisions, e.g. _dev, _net, _note & pim, ..., ad nauseum.  When I have need, I browse the specific start menu subdivision.  The shortcut titles there will remind me which program I need.

Since there are upward of a thousand entries in the start menu, this greatly enhances what productivity I can eke out.  Lack of that listing significantly cripples my output.

Granted the Win8 Start Screen is a side-scrolling pictogram of the [/i]start menu[/i] to which I'm accustomed,  but it takes too long to traverse, and it is not, so far as I am aware, editable.  (Besides, I don't care for side scrolling  :P.)

That's my primary problem win Win8 ... finding the program I need to run when I need to run it!

cranioscopical:
Could those here who have used Win 8 for some time and who don't use the new Start Screen stuff say what you wish for in 8.1
-Nod5 (June 07, 2013, 04:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't want to spoil your sense of optimism but I'm told that the presenter's wish had been for a full head of hair.

YMMV.

(I never see the 'tablet side' of W8 and have been quite happy with 8.0.)

Stoic Joker:
Granted the Win8 Start Screen is a side-scrolling pictogram of the [/i]start menu[/i] to which I'm accustomed,  but it takes too long to traverse, and it is not, so far as I am aware, editable.  (Besides, I don't care for side scrolling  :P.)-barney (June 07, 2013, 08:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes the Win8 SS groups are editable if you are in the zoomed out view. Item groups can be created, deleted, modified, and named.

Not the best tutorials...Just the first I could find to get you started.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/create-manage-groups-start-screen-app-tiles-windows-8

http://www.howtogeek.com/108546/how-to-name-groups-of-apps-on-the-windows-8-metro-start-screen/

Another thought is if you rename an icon to something meaningful to you it could make it easier to search for (i.e. ProgName - Thing_I_Use_For_X)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version