ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

From the B.F.D. Dept. - Microsoft releases first video preview of Win 8.1

(1/6) > >>

40hz:
Well...it's gotta start somewhere...and this is how they chose to do it.

Microsoft has released a short official video preview of Windows 8.1 that neatly sidesteps all the things real users want to know about, like: how is the revived Start button gonna work...and how well does it work with a mouse in a non-touchscreen environment...and with a large or dual monitor setup.

But you get none of that. Just Jensen Harris (who looks like Mini-Me's bigger sibling) smiling like a dork and talking about things like "cool" and being "excited" about cosmetic features and eye candy while demoing it on a (surprise! surprise!) Surface tablet.

I had hopes. But it looks like Microsoft still isn't quite ready to directly address the concerns and wishes of a very large part of their customer base. So instead we get more Metro, puff features, plus a low key pitch for Skydrive, and the Surface.

Guess we're just gonna have to wait until it's released before we have any real answers. :-\

Stoic Joker:
Just Jensen Harris (who looks like Mini-Me's bigger sibling) smiling like a dork and talking about things like "cool" and being "excited" about cosmetic features and eye candy while demoing it on a (surprise! surprise!) Surface tablet.-40hz (June 05, 2013, 01:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good god man with that intro for a description I sat at my desk (at work...) through the entire video with my hand clamped over my mouth and tears coming out of my eyes hoping no one would hear me cracking up. Gushing over rainbow colors, pretty pictures, and exhibiting a marked fixation with Marilyn Monroe ...(oh dear)... They are definitely trying to directly compete with Apple in the lowest loafer weight department.

f0dder:
Distilled: 'meh'.

Curt:
Windows 8.1 - What's New, IT Pro Features, Devices, UI | TechNet-technet.microsoft.com
--- End quote ---

also:

This update also includes features like boot to desktop and improved mouse and keyboard navigation, making it an excellent choice for your existing laptop and desktop devices as well.

-------

Windows 8.1 includes a broad set of new security capabilities including enhanced support for biometrics for user authentication and remote business data removal, which ensures that corporate data is encrypted and can be wiped remotely.
-Windows 8.1 Enterprise
--- End quote ---

40hz:
I still want to see it boot to the desktop. I can't help but think there's some catch to it they're not letting us in on.

Somebody on another site also pointed out he couldn't help but want to scream since there's this big honkin' START button on the screen that this talking head won't so much as acknowledge - let alone press the friggin' thing.

And yeah... he  does seem to have a certain unholy fascination with an assassinated movie star doesn't he? Man...and here I thought my Nicole Kidman  :-* was weird enough.

At least my little crush is still alive... :P ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version