ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for a launcher

(1/4) > >>

Josh:
OK Folks, I have a new tool I am trying to locate.

As an avid keyboard user, I love the ability to launch things via hotkeys, find documents I want by typing, and being able to customize different shorts to perform key functions. Autohotkey can do this, however I prefer something with a configurable GUI that doesn't require code to make work.

I have looked at various tools like Launchy and executor and FARR. I currently use FARR but need something with indexing due to the large number of files I search in some folders. Executor is nice but it lacks the ability use some form of regexp or other matching (for shortcuts like my mstsc alias that has pre-programmed servers in it for remote desktop connections). Launchy seems to be showing its signs of abandonment and I would prefer something that shows the promise of being updated if needed.

What recommendations does everyone have? I have checked out most of the tools listed on alternativeto.net. I really want something that is keyboard focused, supports some form of filtering per shortcut, and can do filesystem browsing.

I look forward to the responses!

kilele:
You might want to combine FARR with some specific software for indexed searching like Locate32

40hz:
You might want to combine FARR with some specific software for indexed searching like Locate32
-kilele (June 05, 2013, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1! That or Everything. It supports regex. But it only works with local NTSF formatted drives. It doesn't do FAT32 or remote disks. (Correction: see next post.)

4wd:
That or Everything. It supports regex. But it only works with local NTSF formatted drives. It doesn't do FAT32 or remote disks.-40hz (June 05, 2013, 10:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Guess again :)

New features in the beta:
Search Syntax
ETP/FTP Server
HTTP Server
Folder Indexing for indexing network shares and FAT32 volumes
Search History
Everything Service for running Everything with a normal user account
EFU File Lists for indexing USB drives, network shares, DVDRoms etc..

--- End quote ---

Get it here.

I have it remotely index my WHS machine once a day, (during it's 3 hour backup window), I can then search the index even if the machine is powered down.

40hz:
That or Everything. It supports regex. But it only works with local NTSF formatted drives. It doesn't do FAT32 or remote disks.-40hz (June 05, 2013, 10:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Guess again :)
-4wd (June 05, 2013, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

@4wd - Thx!  :Thmbsup: I stand corrected. Been a while - and I'm mostly Linux these days so I don't stay as current with my Windows software as I used to. :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version