ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

notepad++

<< < (5/6) > >>

Tuxman:
 You mean like any other software on a Windows machine?-Tinman57 (June 07, 2013, 04:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

No.

Tinman57:
Crashes are should be pretty rare in most circumstances.  On my box, the only things that I have that crash regularly are Visual Studio and Skyrim.  Skyrim is my fault, because I mess around with it so much.  And Visual Studios is... Visual Studio.

If you have programs that crash regularly, best bet is to find something else, IMO.  Because sooner or later one of those crashes will be something more than just inconvenient.
-wraith808 (June 07, 2013, 04:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Problem there is, if you get something else then there's probably another app you use that it won't get along with.  I've got a couple of programs that work great as long as I don't use it while another certain program is running.  Needless to say, they aren't multitasking friendly.  lol

wraith808:
And that's a problem with the application, not the OS.  I remember the days of DLL hell quite well, and they haven't gone away... they've just been made better, and it's a bit harder to get in that situation.  But it's always possible to write sucky code.  Put the blame where it needs to lie- the applications.  And get the developers to fix the situation, or move on.  You don't have to accept sucky development.

Tinman57:
And that's a problem with the application, not the OS.  I remember the days of DLL hell quite well, and they haven't gone away... they've just been made better, and it's a bit harder to get in that situation.  But it's always possible to write sucky code.  Put the blame where it needs to lie- the applications.  And get the developers to fix the situation, or move on.  You don't have to accept sucky development.  -wraith808 (June 08, 2013, 09:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you read the commercial software's shrink-wrapped agreements lately?  Just taking the shrink-wrap off the CD/DVD prevents you from getting a refund, so once you buy the software it's not like you can just move on.
  And I can (and do) blame a lot of this on the OS, especially after (almost every time) an OS update/patch breaks your computer and/or installed software.  I wonder why you never hear about Linux or OSX having these kind of problems?
  But you are right, I don't have to accept sucky development, which is why I'm headed for Linuxville.....   8)  I'll keep a bare-bones installation of XP on the computer to use all my old software and games.  A bare-bones installation of XP is fast too.....

wraith808:
Have you read the commercial software's shrink-wrapped agreements lately?  Just taking the shrink-wrap off the CD/DVD prevents you from getting a refund, so once you buy the software it's not like you can just move on.
-Tinman57 (June 09, 2013, 06:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can.  Cut your losses man... don't accept poor QOL for $50! </tongue in cheek>

But you are right, I don't have to accept sucky development, which is why I'm headed for Linuxville.....
-Tinman57 (June 09, 2013, 06:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Completely your choice... but bad developers exist in Linux-land also.  It's not the OS... it's the developers making the software.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version