ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

digitising slides

<< < (7/8) > >>

Shades:
I have seen the results of a scanner that could only scan slides...A guy I knew, who had a pron-site for "special" tastes, bought one for about 2000 euro's, because he could get his hands on a boatload of vintage material (this happened around 2000). After a slide was processed, which took it sweet time I might add, the result was a 2500x1600 picture as crisp as would have been taken yesterday.

The scanner itself was not much wider that the slide itself, not longer than 5 slides laid after each other and its height was about 10 slides stapled on top of each other. The software that came with the scanner did the real "magic", though. You do get what you pay for in scanner land.

Target:
I have seen the results of a scanner that could only scan slides...A guy I knew, who had a pron-site for "special" tastes, bought one for about 2000 euro's, because he could get his hands on a boatload of vintage material (this happened around 2000). After a slide was processed, which took it sweet time I might add, the result was a 2500x1600 picture as crisp as would have been taken yesterday.

The scanner itself was not much wider that the slide itself, not longer than 5 slides laid after each other and its height was about 10 slides stapled on top of each other. The software that came with the scanner did the real "magic", though. You do get what you pay for in scanner land. -Shades (July 14, 2013, 10:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

hehe, given the time lapse we're probably talking about the same sort of 'scanner' that goes for about $50 these days ;D ;D ;D

gotta be grateful to all those early adopters :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

brahman:
@target please read my post above regarding infrared dust cleaning, this cannot be done with a digital camera

This 2000$ scanner (if it was a Nikon) actually may go for more than 2000$ today, since they were excellent, are not being produced any more, and are still in high demand.

Target:
@target please read my post above regarding infrared dust cleaning, this cannot be done with a digital camera

This 2000$ scanner (if it was a Nikon) actually may go for more than 2000$ today, since they were excellent, are not being produced any more, and are still in high demand.-brahman (July 15, 2013, 10:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

how does dust cleaning in software compare to actual dust cleaning, ie carefully dusting/cleaning the slides with isopropyl alcohol and a microfibre cloth?

granted there are 'high end' scanners that are built specifically for this type of work (eg drum scanners), but they can be deemed out of scope for this exercise due to their 'rarity' and high cost (mostly the cost ;D ;D ;D) - remember I said earlier that this could be a throwaway piece of hardware

tomos:
^I think you often wont get the dust off the negatives/slides without damaging them, or worse again, the dust/scratches are part of the image itself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version