ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Magnetic North Pole migration seems to be accelerating.

<< < (5/5)

40hz:
If polarity reverses, True North and Magnetic North would be opposite, which would take quite a bit more calculations along with the confusion.....
-Tinman57 (June 05, 2013, 07:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Am I missing something? :huh:

If the polarity reverses, wouldn't it just be easier to announce that south is now the colored end of the compass needle and north is the silver end? That and simply recalibrate electronic compasses since it shouldn't matter if true north is out from magnetic by 4 or 184 degrees as long as you know how much the deviation is?

It would only be a real problem while it's shifting. Once it stabilized it shouldn't matter.

Fortunately, GPS and gyrocompass systems shouldn't be affected.

barney:

If the polarity reverses, wouldn't it just be easier to announce that south is now the colored end of the compass needle and north is the silver end? That and simply recalibrate electronic compasses since it shouldn't matter if true north is out from magnetic by 4 or 184 degrees as long as you know how much the deviation is?

It would only be a real problem while it's shifting. Once it stabilized it shouldn't matter.
-40hz (June 05, 2013, 09:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Navigationally, as you say, there should be no problem.  However, the doomsayers are of two (2) minds.  One (1) faction predicts life-threatening exposure to solar events during the shift.  (While that is semi-verifiable, it is also predictable.)  The other faction warns of unknown, possibly weather-related, life-threatening events during the shift (can you say Mayan calendar  ;D?).

Stoic Joker:
Oh hell no, the Mayan's already picked their day...and missed. They're not getting credit for this one. They'll just have to go sit in the false prophets box with the rest of the apocalypse pool losers.

pilgrim:
I have concerns about this thread, I just opened it to read the latest posts and the first thing I saw was this:

(Read 666 times)
--- End quote ---

Actually I don't know what all the fuss is about, politicians are a far more imminent danger, their actions can have global consequence and they change position frequently.

EDIT:ADDAfter I wrote this post I found the following and just had to include it:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=government&defid=2796760

7. government

government is like a condom in that it allows for inflation, halts production, destroys subsequent generations, protects a bunch of pricks, and provides its constituents with a sense of security while they are actually being screwed.
--- End quote ---

Tinman57:
If polarity reverses, True North and Magnetic North would be opposite, which would take quite a bit more calculations along with the confusion.....
-Tinman57 (June 05, 2013, 07:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Fortunately, GPS and gyrocompass systems shouldn't be affected.
-40hz (June 05, 2013, 09:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, you can announce it, but what about the printing on the compass?  North wouldn't be North anymore, along with the other references.  You would have to scrape off N, S, E and W and reverse them all. Gyro compasses would be affected as well if they are the pin & needle type with the needle pointing towards the references.  But I would think that even the digital ones would be off as far as east and west goes.

EDIT:  I was in a rush when I typed this.  After I went to bed I got to thinking about what I said and realized that I got to talking about two different Nav technologies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version