ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The real difference between a desktop pc and every other gadget you have.

<< < (4/4)

superboyac:
SuperboyAC, your prayers (at least one of them) may be answered - http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/hacknmod/qjUG/~3/7C7lZGVL0jo/story01.htm

-Target (June 12, 2013, 06:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
oh baby!  >:D :onfire:

superboyac:
Say What?!?!?  Build your own smartphone?!  Could we have been wrong about the Illuminati?
http://mindofthegeek.com/2013/07/02/moto-x-motorola-customize-android/
It’s the “Designed by you,” line and the rest of the ad that has the entire mobile press lighting up the Internet more than what we’ll see over the New York Harbor this Thursday night. It’s now reported that Motorola may take a bold step forward with the Moto X, allowing customers to build their own smartphone to order, spec for spec. What’s exactly on the table nobody knows. Screen size and resolution, CPU, GPU, internal storage, battery size, even color could be offered in different configurations. Want a powerhouse phone with the latest CPU, GPU, and a huge battery to power it through the day, but not concerned about a lot of internal storage since you have 50GB of Dropbox storage? The Motorola Moto X, if reports are true, would allow you to build and order your phone to spec for your needs.
--- End quote ---

Pretty vague....but fingers crossed!  Why do I feel like I'm never going to grow up?

Stoic Joker:
Why do I feel like I'm never going to grow up?-superboyac (July 02, 2013, 11:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Growing up is highly overrated, I refuse to do it.

Hell, if they were offering that with a choice of OSs -- partial to the Windows phones as I am -- I'd go get in line for one now!

Assembled in the USA (no shit? Finally??) ...I may have to try a Droid ... Damn those pesky pivotal moments...

40hz:
There's already a semi-revolt going on in the enterprise arena. Check out this ArsTechnica article on Facebook and the Open Compute Project.

How Facebook threatens HP, Cisco, and more with its “vanity free” servers
Ars tours Facebook's DIY-hardware lab to learn why it embraces open source hardware.
by Sean Gallagher - Jul 2, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

Ars recently visited Facebook's campus to get a tour of the server lab from Senior Manager of Hardware Engineering Matt Corddry, leader of Facebook's server hardware design team. What's happening at Facebook's lab isn't just affecting the company's data centers, it's part of Facebook's contribution to the Open Compute Project (OCP), an effort that hopes to bring open-source design to data center server and storage hardware, infrastructure, and management interfaces across the world.

Facebook, Amazon, and Google are all very picky about their server hardware, and these tech giants mostly build it themselves from commodity components. Frank Frankovsky, VP of hardware design and supply chain operations at Facebook, was instrumental in launching the Open Compute Project because he saw the waste in big cloud players reinventing things they could share. Frankovsky felt that bringing the open-source approach Facebook has followed for software to the hardware side could save the company and others millions—both in direct hardware costs and in maintenance and power costs.

Just as the Raspberry Pi system-on-a-board and the Arduino open-source microcontroller have captured the imagination of small-scale hardware hackers, OCP is aimed at making DIY easier, effective, and flexible at a macro scale. What Facebook and Open Compute are doing to data center hardware may not ultimately kill the hardware industry, but it will certainly tilt it on its head. Yes, the open-sourced, commoditized motherboards and other subsystems used by Facebook were originally designed specifically for the "hyper scale" world of data centers like those of Facebook, Rackspace, and other cloud computing providers. But these designs could easily find their way into other do-it-yourself hardware environments or into "vanity free" systems sold to small and large enterprises, much as Linux has.

And open-source commodity hardware could make an impact beyond its original audience quickly because it can be freely adopted by hardware makers, driving down the price of new systems. That's not necessarily good news for Hewlett-Packard, Cisco, and other big players in corporate IT. "Vanity free," open-source designed systems will likely drive innovation fast while disrupting the whole model those companies have been built upon...
--- End quote ---

Note: OCP isn't just an idea. It's a live project involving some of  the biggest names in the business. More on OCP can be found here.

"Hack the Planet!" :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
oh...sweet.  That's great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version