ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DonationCoder Recipe Sharing Thread

<< < (7/15) > >>

mouser:
Nice to see this thread picking up!

tomos:
You can add more sugar at the bottling stage, but depending on how much you've added blah blah blah, you could risk exploding bottles.

This has never happened to me, but during secondary fermentation (the 2 week period), you should store the bottles somewhere safe as they *could* explode in a "less-terrorist" but more messy kind of way.
-Renegade (July 12, 2013, 07:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder - with say, 200gr sugar, would the initial fermentation period not need to be longer (in order to avoid the exploding bottles part)?
Or does the yeast die after a certain period without air? (i.e. after having being bottled)
To be on the safe side use heavier bottles (e.g. as you recommend, beer bottles intended for resuse).

app103:
The bottles should be sterile. You can get bottle sterilizer at any home brew shop. If not, just wash well & rinse well.
--- End quote ---

Or keep your eyes open for yard sales (or ebay), where someone might be selling an electric steam baby bottle sterilizer.  ;)

Renegade:
The bottles should be sterile. You can get bottle sterilizer at any home brew shop. If not, just wash well & rinse well.
--- End quote ---

Or keep your eyes open for yard sales (or ebay), where someone might be selling an electric steam baby bottle sterilizer.  ;)
-app103 (July 12, 2013, 09:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Those would work for 500 ml bottles, but I think the 750's are a bit large... hold on... Yep. Just checked - way too large.

You can add more sugar at the bottling stage, but depending on how much you've added blah blah blah, you could risk exploding bottles.

This has never happened to me, but during secondary fermentation (the 2 week period), you should store the bottles somewhere safe as they *could* explode in a "less-terrorist" but more messy kind of way.
--- End quote ---

I wonder - with say, 200gr sugar, would the initial fermentation period not need to be longer (in order to avoid the exploding bottles part)?
Or does the yeast die after a certain period without air? (i.e. after having being bottled)
To be on the safe side use heavier bottles (e.g. as you recommend, beer bottles intended for resuse).
-tomos (July 12, 2013, 08:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not too sure about the exact times and amounts for fermentation and explosion. Resources on brewing beer would be good to find out though as there are fewer resources on making soda.

app103:
What kind of yeast are you using in this?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version