ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DonationCoder Recipe Sharing Thread

<< < (6/15) > >>

app103:
My daughter contacted me on Facebook, from her boyfriend's house, needing this recipe. And since I had typed it in the box for her, I figured I'd copy & paste it here, too. This is the perfect base recipe, ready for altering in creative ways.

Fat Free Banana Bread (no eggs or milk, so it's also vegan)

* 6 bananas
* 1 cup sugar
* 2 cups flour
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350F. (hopefully, you have tested the oven with a thermometer, by now, for accuracy)
2. Mash the bananas and sugar together.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
4. Stir in the banana mixture and the vanilla.
5. When thoroughly blended, pour into an ungreased non-stick loaf pan and bake about 1 hour.
6. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.

Now, how to alter this...

Make it with the bananas first, so you know what the consistency of the batter should be. Replace the bananas with 2 cups of any pureed fruit and add the appropriate spices. You can even use 4 of those 4oz jars of baby food fruits, if you don't feel like pureeing them yourself (mix and match, have fun with it).

* Apple cinnamon bread - 2 cups of chunky apple sauce and a whole lot of cinnamon
* Oatmeal bread - 2 cups of cooked, cooled oatmeal (handful of raisins optional)
* Apple cinnamon oatmeal bread - double the recipe and add both of the above - makes 2 loaves
* Pumpkin bread - 2 cups pureed pumpkin and the same spices needed to make pumpkin pie
* Strawberry banana bread - 3 bananas and 1 cup of pureed strawberries
* Chocolate bread - 2 cups cooked, cooled oatmeal and some cocoa (may need extra sugar)
* Blueberry bread - 2 cups pureed blueberries and some extra whole ones
* Peach bread - 2 cups pureed peaches (canned or fresh)
* Mixed fruit bread - 2 cups of drained and pureed fruit cocktail, with an additional .5 cup of unpureed fruit.
* Mango papaya bread - 1 cup of pureed mango, and 1 cup of pureed papaya.
* Pina Colada bread - 2 cups of pureed pineapple and some shredded coconut
Just use your imagination and whatever you have on hand. If your batter comes out a bit thick with some of these substitutions, add a little water to thin it down. You might even want to take an adventure into using some pureed, cooked vegetables, such as carrots or sweet potatoes.

barney:
Just use your imagination and whatever you have on hand. If your batter comes out a bit thick with some of these substitutions, add a little water to thin it down. You might even want to take an adventure into using some pureed, cooked vegetables, such as carrots or sweet potatoes.
-app103 (July 09, 2013, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Take your original ingredient list, diminish by half, replace bananas with carrots, shaved or pureed - I prefer shaved, but it's more work, food processor not withstanding  :-\.  Bake in some mini-loaf pans.  Been doing it for years, and it makes a pleasant change to sweets with coffee.  Flavour, minimal sweet, and complements the taste of the coffee.  Only problem is remembering to mix it the day before - I don' wanna work that hard in the morning for breakfast  :P.  Oh, one (1) other thing ... if you puree the carrots, they don't have to be all that fresh  ;).

cranioscopical:
Dead simple but good for those avoiding wheat.

Chic pea crêpes.

1 egg
1/2 to 2/3 cup chic pea flour
1 cup milk or milk/water mix
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fine sugar

Start with the flour, add half of the milk and the egg, salt, and sugar. Blend until smooth. Add remaining milk and blend fully.

Make a frying pan or crêpe pan hot enough to boil off a drop of water instantly. Spray the pan with a mist of olive oil.

Add enough batter to cover thinly the bottom of the pan. Cook on medium to high heat for about 2 minutes (or until the crêpe moves freely in the pan when shaken). Flip the crêpe or turn with a spatula and cook the other side.

Add filling to crêpe, roll and serve.

Filling suggestions:
Asparagus and cream cheese
Black cherries
(not all together  ;) )

KynloStephen66515:
Beef Lasagne

Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hours 10 minutes
Serves: 6

Ingredients:

*     350g (12oz) lean minced beef
*     1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
*     1 large clove garlic, peeled and crushed
*     1 Beef Stock Cube - Beef reduction is a suitable alternative here
*     600g canned chopped tomatoes
*     2–3 tbsps tomato purée
*     Handful of fresh chopped herbs, Try a mixture of: thyme, sage, oregano and rosemary
*     Good pinch freshly ground pepper
*     1 glass red wine (125ml) - Don't use cheap plonk or you will regret it.  Try to spend a decent amount on the wine...You can always use the rest for Dinner Drinks!
*     175g (6oz) lasagne sheets

Béchamel:

*     425ml (¾ pint) semi-skimmed milk
*     1 small onion and carrot
*     Bay leaf
*     25g (1oz) flour
*     40g (1½oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
When cooking the béchamel, you could also try adding a pinch of nutmeg for additional flavor!

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to moderate 170°C (fan assisted), 350°F, gas mark 4.

2. Place mince, onion and garlic in a pan and fry, stirring until the beef is browned.

3. Crumble in the stock cube/pour in the beef reduction and stir in. Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, herbs, pepper and wine. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Meanwhile, cook the lasagne in boiling salted water for 10–15 minutes, until just soft. Drain and rinse in cold water.

5. For the sauce, bring the milk to the boil with the onion, carrot and bay leaf. Take off the heat and leave to infuse for 10–15 minutes. Strain the milk and place back in the pan with the flour. Stirring constantly, bring to the boil and simmer for 2–3 minutes until thickened and smooth.

6. In an ovenproof dish, layer the meat mixture, lasagne and sauce ending with the sauce and sprinkle with the cheese.

7. Cook in preheated oven for 30–40 minutes.

8.  Serve with a topping of cheese, and sprinkle on some rosemary over the top.

Renegade:
GINGER ALE

Ingredients:

* Chunk of fresh ginger (1 cm or to taste)
* 60 g raw sugar (see below)
* 1.5 L filtered water (see below)
* 1 tsp fresh yeast
* Pinch of cream of tartar OR lemon juice
* Sterilized bottles
Instructions:

* Mill the sugar into icing sugar if you can. Otherwise, just continue.
* Pulverize/mill the ginger as fine as possible.
* Mix the sugar & ginger. You can mill them together if you have equipment to do that, i.e. a very powerful food processor.
* Add the water, cream of tartar, and yeast and mix the b'jeez out of it. Really. Mix as hard as your blender/food processor will allow. If you have a regular food processor/blender, do it for a couple minutes.
* Let it stand open to the air for 12 hours or so.
* Bottle & wait 2 weeks.
RECIPE NOTES:

* 60 g of sugar won't give you much sweetness. On my first batch I used 85 g and it wasn't very sweet. I'd say use around 200 g of sugar at my first guess for some sweeter ginger ale.
* You should use filtered water, and preferably water filtered for chlorine and fluoride. Both are toxins and will impede the fermentation process. You can use quality bottled water, but an RO filter will do a better job in most cases. Resin filters are still good for filtering out chlorine and fluoride. Particulate matter is less important, but filtered water with less particulate will give a better flavour. This is actually more important for lacto-fermented soda than for this particular recipe.
* If you don't have cream of tartar, you can use lemon juice, but that will slightly flavour the ginger ale, which you may or may not like.
* The bottles should be sterile. You can get bottle sterilizer at any home brew shop. If not, just wash well & rinse well.
* Don't filter it when you bottle it.
General comments:

That's a very fast & easy fermented soda. Lacto-fermentation techniques are much more difficult, so this is a nice & easy method.

When you put it in the fridge, store it UPRIGHT and not on its side. The ginger pulp will precipitate out to the bottom. You can decide if you want to mix it into the drink easier if it's stored upright.

The initial 12 hours are the first fermentation. When you bottle it, that's when it undergoes its secondary fermentation and that's where you get the carbonation/bubbles. You can add more sugar at the bottling stage, but depending on how much you've added blah blah blah, you could risk exploding bottles.

This has never happened to me, but during secondary fermentation (the 2 week period), you should store the bottles somewhere safe as they *could* explode in a "less-terrorist" but more messy kind of way.

You don't want to filter the particulate out when bottling as you'll end up removing a lot of the good stuff that helps give it bubbles and wonderfulness.

Flip-top bottle like you get with Grolsch beer are excellent for this kind of thing. (HINT - I just gave you an excellent excuse to go out and buy some beer! :P )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version